Danelle German is an American businesswoman and author who is known for her creation of cat and dog handbags. She later founded the National Cat Groomers Institute of America (NCGIA) located in Greenville, South Carolina.
From 1999 to 2005, German bred Persian cats for Cat Fanciers' Association (CFA) shows, earning several regional awards for her cats, completing her show career in 2005 with a third place premiership (spayed or neutered cats over eight months old) for her cat, GC, GP, NW Chantilylace Groucho Marks of Bara, DM. In preparation for the CFA shows, German and her husband had built a cattery and grooming operation for her Persians in their home. At the request of The Cat Clinic of Greenville (South Carolina), German opened her doors to the public in January 2001 to create The Catty Shack.
The Catty Shack
By 2003, the business was so successful, that German moved The Catty Shack to neighboring Simpsonville (located southeast of Greenville). German sold her business to Morgan Reynolds in December 2009 to focus on the NCGIA in Greenville which she founded in May 2007.
While at The Catty Shack, German created a side business that created handbags for cats and dogs. This was done out of the cat hair that was shed at her South Carolina office on a daily basis. It led to the creation of Catty Shack Creations, a handbag business that would be mentioned on the Persians part of Animal Planet's Cats 101 in December 2008.
National Cat Groomers Institute of America
Prior to the NCGIA's founding in 2006, German had presented seminars regarding cat grooming. By late 2006, German realized the need to train people to properly groom a cat. This was evident in the amount of phone calls and e-mails received from frustrated groomers and disappointed cat owners alike. This resulted in German creating the NCGIA, the first feline-specific grooming instruction of its kind to be formed. Since the NCGIA's formation in 2007, German has also been a sought-after speaker, innovator and entrepreneur within the pet care industry. In her talks, she leads people into self-awareness and self-actualization, inspires them to find and pursue their own excellence, motivates humans to reach deeper within themselves as they learn to communicate with another species on a profound level. She espouses several simple truths along the way: never trust a cat; failure is not an option; every cat deserves the best groom and groomer.
German is also the author of The Ultimate Cat Groomer Encyclopedia. This encyclopedia focuses on the cat grooming business, CFA-approved cat breeds, feline behavior, grooming and handling techniques, feline health, and case studies on cat grooming.
German is married with five children. Her oldest daughter, Olivia, works at the NCGIA. With her husband, German developed the patented CattyShack Vac drying system which is used to dry a cat once they are washed, and Chubbs Bars, a degreasing shampoo for pets.
- History of The Catty Shack in Simpsonville, SC featuring German. - accessed 22 June 2010.
- Deadhead, Daisy. "You now have learned enough to see, that cats are much like you and me". Dead Air. Retrieved 7 February 2008.
- The Catty Shack staff. - accessed 22 June 2010.
- National Cat Groomers Institute of America (NCGIA) profile of German. - accessed 22 June 2010.
- "Cat fur sweaters for everyone". Lemondrop.com - 2 January 2009 article accessed 22 June 2010.
- "VIDEO : Showcase Facility Tour: National Cat Groomers School - 20 minutes". Learn2GroomDogs.com.
- German, Danelle. "I'm a Cat Groomer, and These Are the Horrors I've Seen". Catster. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- The Ultimate Cat Groomer Encyclopedia book from the National Cat Groomers Institute of America - accessed 22 June 2010.
- The Ultimate Cat Groomer Encyclopedia Table of Contents - National Cat Groomers Institute of America. Accessed 22 June 2010.