Danger Zone (film)
|Directed by||Allan Eastman|
|Produced by||Avi Lerner
|Written by||Jeff Albert|
Robert Downey Jr.
|Music by||Daniel Pelfrey|
|Edited by||Alain Jakubowicz|
|Distributed by||Nu Image Films|
|August 2, 1996|
|Country||United States/Canada/South Africa|
In the fictional African nation Zambeze, American mining engineer Rick Morgan is conned into an illegal operation involving toxic waste by his old friend, Jim Scott. Immediately after, the mine is attacked by a team of mercenaries, led by a rogue agent called Chang. Scott attempts to flee, but is supposedly killed by Chang. The mercenaries leave right as the army arrives. The government assumes Morgan is responsible for the deaths of hundreds of villagers, apparently caused by toxic waste. Due to the CIA, Morgan is allowed to return to America.
One year later, Morgan is approached by Maurice Dupont for a mission to clear his name and prevent further deaths. Morgan reluctantly agrees upon finding out that Scott is alive. Morgan is introduced to World Health Organization researcher Dr. Kim Woods. The two are teamed up. After searching a mine, Morgan and Kim are captured by rebel forces. Morgan and Kim are almost executed until Scott reveals himself to be their secret leader. Not long after, Chang's mercenaries attack and lay waste to the camp. Scott gives Morgan a code and the last clue he needs to find the barrels. Chang then murders Scott as Morgan and Kim escape.
Back at their hotel rooms, Kim is confronted by Dupont who reveals his duplicity. Morgan subdues Dupont, only for him to be rescued by Chang and another mercenary. Satisfied that he fulfilled his purpose, Chang shoots Dupont while Morgan and Kim make a run for it. Morgan reaches a contact who tells them the location of the barrels. Morgan recognizes the location as being an old hangout of his and Scott's. Chang arrives, kills the contact, forcing Morgan and Kim to flee.
The two finally reach the old hangout which is a cavern. Upon retrieving the uranium rod, Chang corners them and reveals he had been tracking them the whole time. Chang takes the uranium rod, kidnaps Kim and attempts to leave Morgan to die of radiation. Morgan survives due to a prototype protective powder developed by the WHO.
Morgan escaped the cavern and meets with Madumo, a rebel leader. Chang attempts to escape on a freight train headed to Point City. Morgan rallies the rebels to launch a massive assault against the train. The rebels are defeated by the government troops. Morgan and Madumo infiltrate the train. They are attacked by Chang's remaining mercenaries. After killing both of them, Morgan drops in, frees Kim and fights Chang. Morgan throws Chang off the train. Kim manages to detach the forward cars, leading them to a track in which the rebels sabotaged, killing all the soldiers. Scott's uncle, a CIA agent, arrives to provide extraction. However Morgan opts to save the uranium rod first. The second half of the train stops at a bridge where Chang reveals himself and attempts to drown Kim. Morgan arrives an sets Chang on fire, where he explodes along with the explosives on board the train. Morgan fishes Kim out of the water and drags her onto shore. Madumo arrives with the remaining rebels as Morgan and Kim kiss.
An African warrior is seen observing all that has transpired.
- Billy Zane .... Rick Morgan, an American miner who has his name defiled by the events.
- Robert Downey Jr. .... Jim Scott, an ex-CIA agent who later becomes the leader of a rebel group.
- Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa .... Mr. Chang, a rogue agent and ex-business partner of Scott.
- Lisa Collins .... Dr. Kim Woods, a respected researcher from the World Health Organization.
- Ron Silver .... Maurice Dupont, a corrupt politician in cahoots with Chang, only to be betrayed by him.
- Patrick Shai .... Madumo, rebel leader and Scott's second-in-command who later teams up with Morgan.
- Russel Savadier .... Nando, ex-informant and bar owner.
- Greg Latter .... Portuguese Sergeant
- Eric Miyeni .... Military Driver
- Elizabeth Mathebula .... African Woman
- Zane Meas .... Indian Sergeant
- Connie Magilo .... Tebi, Scott's Wife
- Waylin Jansen .... Scarlett, Scott's Daughter
- Patrick Ndlovu .... Minister
- George Lamola .... Scott's Jeep Driver
- Chris Buchanan .... Mercenary #1
- Tshepo Nzimande .... Mercenary #2
- Cordell McQueen .... Mercenary #3
- Hector Rabotabi .... Rebel #1
- Tracy Lee Cundill .... U.S. Reporter
- Harry Sekgobela .... Dupont's Driver