|Date of birth||2 January 1953|
|Place of birth||Haifa, Israel|
|Faction represented in Knesset|
|2009–2013||The Jewish Home|
|2009–2013||Minister of Science & Technology|
Daniel Hershkowitz (Hebrew: דניאל הרשקוביץ; born 2 January 1953 in Haifa, Israel) is an Israeli politician, mathematician and rabbi. He previously served as a professor of mathematics at the Technion and is also rabbi of the Ahuza neighborhood in Haifa. He was appointed president of Bar-Ilan University in 2013.
Hershkowitz was born in Haifa. His parents were Holocaust survivors from Hungary, and his father was wounded in the Israeli War of Independence. Hershkowitz studied at a religious high school, and graduated at age 16. He served for five years in the Intelligence Corps of the Israel Defense Forces, reaching the rank of Major.
Hershkowitz earned his BSc in mathematics in 1973, MSc in 1976, and DSc in 1982, all from the Technion. His yeshiva studies were conducted at Mercaz HaRav; he received his Semikha (ordination) in 1995 from Rabbis She'ar Yashuv Cohen, Shlomo Chelouche and Nehemyah Roth, as well as an additional ordination "Rabbi of the City" from the Chief Rabbinate of Israel (2001).
He has published over 80 mathematics articles in academic journals. He was President of the International Linear Algebra Society (2002-2008), and was previously a Professor of Mathematics at the University of Wisconsin–Madison. In 1982 he was awarded the Landau Research Prize in Mathematics; in 1990, the New England Academic Award for Excellence in Research; in 1990, the Technion’s Award for Excellence in Teaching; and in 1991, the Henri Gutwirth Award for Promotion of Research.
In 2009, he was elected to the Knesset as the leader of the Jewish Home, and was appointed Minister of Science and Technology after joining Benjamin Netanyahu's government. He did not contest the 2013 elections, and subsequently left the Knesset.
- Biography Archived 28 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine., borhatorah.org
- Board of Trustees Approves Appointment of Rabbi Prof. Daniel Hershkowitz as Next President of Bar-Ilan University
- daniel-h.co.il Archived 27 September 2013 at the Wayback Machine.
- International Linear Algebra Society Archived 24 July 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- ILAS Officers Archived 7 July 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- Netanyahu sworn in as Israel's prime minister Haaretz, 1 April 2009.
- "Prof. Daniel Hershkowitz" Archived 11 September 2012 at WebCite, a profile at Ministry of Science and Technology website
|Wikisource has original works written by or about: