David Nolan (American author)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
David Nolan is an American author and civil rights activist.
Nolan was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1946, the son of journalist Joseph T. Nolan and his artist wife Virginia.
Since 1977 he has made his home in St. Augustine, Florida, known as the "nation's oldest city." From 1978-1980 he worked on the first official survey of old buildings in the Ancient City.
His first book, Fifty Feet in Paradise: The Booming of Florida, dealing with the booms and busts in the state's colorful real estate history, was published by Harcourt Brace Jovanovich in 1984, and he received the annual author's award from the Council for Florida Libraries.
He was a contributor to a literary tour guide of the state called The Book Lover's Guide to Florida that was published by Pineapple Press in 1992.
In 1995 he collaborated with artist Jean Ellen Fitzpatrick and photographer Ken Barrett to produce The Houses of St. Augustine, which has become the bestselling book about the Ancient City and its historic buildings.
He was a founder in 2002 of ACCORD (an acronym for "Anniversary to Commemorate the Civil Rights Demonstrations"), a group designed to honor the participants in the St. Augustine movement during the Civil Rights Movement. Demonstrations in St. Augustine in 1963 and 1964 led by Dr.Robert Hayling and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. resulted in the passage of the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964, one of the two great legislative accomplishments of the movement. ACCORD has launched a permanently marked Freedom Trail of historic sites of the civil rights movement that has gained international publicity. 
On July 2, 2009, the 45th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, he received the President's Volunteer Service Award from Barack Obama.
He is a lecturer on historic, architectural, and literary subjects.
- Nolan, David, Fifty Feet in Paradise: The Booming of Florida,, New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1984, ISBN 0-15-130748-2
- Nolan, David, with paintings by Jean Ellen Fitzpatrick and photographs by Ken Barrett, Jr., The Houses of St. Augustine, Sarasota: Pineapple Press, 1995, ISBN 1-56164-069-7
- Summary Information
Title: David Nolan Papers Inclusive Dates: 1960-1987
Creator: Nolan, David, 1946- Call Number: Mss 773; PH 3905; PH 3906
Quantity: 2.4 c.f. (6 archives boxes) and 104 photographs
Repository: Wisconsin Historical Society, Library-Archives Division
- MSNBC August 27, 2007: St. Augustine marking civil right sites, accessed October 2, 2009
- Governor Crist's February 25, 2009 press release, accessed October 2, 2009 Archived March 15, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- St. Augustine Record, March 6, 2009 Governor salutes St. Augustine historian, accessed October 2, 2009