David Saltzberg is a professor of physics and astronomy at the University of California, Los Angeles. Saltzberg received a Sloan Fellowship, NSF Career Award, and Department of Energy Outstanding Junior Investigator Award while an assistant professor. Saltzberg earned a bachelor's degree in physics in 1989 from Princeton University and a Ph.D. in physics from the University of Chicago in 1994. From 1995-97 he worked at CERN in Switzerland. His research interests include high-energy collider physics and the radio detection of cosmic neutrinos.
Saltzberg is also known for his work as technical director on the CBS comedy The Big Bang Theory. In addition to reviewing and correcting scripts with technical errors, Saltzberg adds complex formulae to whiteboards on set. David also has established scientists visit the set of The Big Bang Theory through his "Geek of the Week" program. He has also been a science consultant on the WGN America series Manhattan.
The asteroid 8628 Davidsaltzberg is named after him.
- "Bio". University of California, Los Angeles. Retrieved 14 February 2010.
- Saltzberg, David; Gorham, Peter; Walz, Dieter; Field, Clive; Iverson, Richard; Odian, Allen; Resch, George; Schoessow, Paul; Williams, Dawn (2001). "Observation of the Askaryan Effect: Coherent Microwave Cherenkov Emission from Charge Asymmetry in High-Energy Particle Cascades". Physical Review Letters. 86 (13): 2802–2805. arXiv:. Bibcode:2001PhRvL..86.2802S. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.86.2802. ISSN 0031-9007.
- Gorham, Peter; Saltzberg, David; Odian, Allen; Williams, Dawn; Besson, David; Frichter, George; Tantawi, Sami (2002). "Measurements of the suitability of large rock salt formations for radio detection of high-energy neutrinos". Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment. 490 (3): 476–491. arXiv:. Bibcode:2002NIMPA.490..476G. doi:10.1016/S0168-9002(02)01077-X. ISSN 0168-9002.
- Booth, John (12 February 2010). "The Evolution of "The Big Bang Theory"". Wired. Retrieved 14 February 2010.
- Büttner, Jean-Martin (9 February 2010). "The Big Bang Theory". Basler Zeitung. Retrieved 14 February 2010.
- Simon, Scott (January 31, 2009). "Sitcoms Consult Scientists For Accuracy". Weekend Edition. National Public Radio. Retrieved 14 February 2010.
- "Interview: Alex Wellerstein And David Saltzberg Discuss Getting History And Science Right On 'Manhattan'". Tech Times. August 6, 2015. Retrieved January 1, 2015.