Shimonovitch (later David Shimoni) was born in Babruysk in Belarus (then part of the Russian Empire) to Nissim Shimonovitch and Malka Fridland Although he lived in Ottoman Palestine for a year in 1909, he did not immigrate to British-administered Palestine until 1920. He was an early member of Al-Domi.
Awards and commemoration
- In 1936 and 1949, Shimoni was awarded the Bialik Prize for Literature.
- In 1954, he was awarded the Israel Prize, for literature.
- He is also a recipient of the Tchernichovsky Prize for exemplary translation.
- David Shimoni bio
- "List of Bialik Prize recipients 1933–2004 (in Hebrew), Tel Aviv Municipality website" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 December 2007.
- "Israel Prize recipients in 1954 (in Hebrew)". Israel Prize Official Site. Archived from the original on 31 July 2007.
|This article about an Israeli poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|