Toews with the Brandon Wheat Kings
June 7, 1990 |
Winnipeg, MB, CAN
|Height||5 ft 11 in (180 cm)|
|Weight||200 lb (91 kg; 14 st 4 lb)|
|NHL Draft||66th overall, 2008
New York Islanders
David Eric Toews (born June 7, 1990) is a Canadian former professional ice hockey player. He was drafted by the New York Islanders in the 3rd round, 66th overall, in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. He is the younger brother of current Chicago Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews.
At the beginning of his second season with Shattuck-Saint Mary's, Toews and teammate Kelsey Tessier left the team and school after being expelled for cheating. Toews received an old copy of a chemistry exam from a classmate to use as a study guide for an upcoming exam. When Toews wrote the exam, he was concerned about running out of time and wrote, verbatim, the answers from the old test. When his professor noticed the similarities between Toews' answers and those of the old test, he was expelled as he had already been on academic probation. As a result, both players moved to Superior, Colorado to play for the Colorado Outlaws midget "AAA" team of the Midwest Elite Hockey League, where they lived with their Shattuck-Saint Mary's teammate Brett Kostolansky's parents.
Toews returned to Shattuck-Saint Mary's the following season on a probationary basis. During his first season with the prep team at Shattuck-Saint Mary's, Toews was named to the Manitoba roster for the ice hockey tournament at the 2007 Canada Games. There, he helped the team to their best finish in the tournament's history, losing 6–4 to Ontario in the gold-medal game.
In the off-season before his final year at Shattuck-Saint Mary's, Toews gave a verbal commitment to attend the University of North Dakota and play for the North Dakota Fighting Sioux men's ice hockey team beginning in the 2008–09 season.
Heading into the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Toews was ranked 79th among North American skaters by the NHL Central Scouting Bureau. He had previously been ranked 71st among North American skaters in January 2008. On June 21, 2008, Toews was drafted in the third round, 66th overall by the New York Islanders.
On September 9, 2011, the Chicago Blackhawks acquired Toews from the New York Islanders for future considerations. On September 23, 2011, the Blackhawks assigned Toews to the Rockford IceHogs of the AHL. The IceHogs loaned Toews to the Toledo Walleye of the ECHL on October 13, 2011. Toews signed a one-year contract with the Bakersfield Condors for the 2012–13 season. In January Toews was placed on waivers and claimed by the Idaho Steelheads. On September 4, 2013 Toews signed a contract with the Reading Royals.
Toews' first experience with Hockey Canada came as a member of the national under-18 team when, on August 8, 2007, he was named to the roster for the 2007 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament. Toews recorded one assist in four games played through the tournament as Canada was defeated 5–4 by Russia in the bronze-medal game.
Regular season and playoffs
|2006-07||Shattuck St. Mary's||Midget AAA||61||34||47||81||52||—||—||—||—||—|
|2007-08||Shattuck St. Mary's||Midget AAA||51||44||56||100||20||—||—||—||—||—|
|2008–09||University of North Dakota||WCHA||23||5||6||11||4||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009–10||University of North Dakota||WCHA||32||4||11||15||12||—||—||—||—||—|
|2010–11||Brandon Wheat Kings||WHL||60||20||28||48||16||6||2||5||7||2|
- "2005 WHL Bantam Draft". The StarPhoenix. 2005-05-06. p. B3.
- LaFavor, Sean (2005-10-18). "SSM loses a pair to expulsion". Faribault Daily News. Retrieved 2010-01-13.
- LaFavor, Sean (2007-07-27). "Toews makes good on Shattuck mulligan". Faribault Daily News.
- Prest, Ashley (2006-11-23). "Getting their chance to shine". Winnipeg Free Press. p. C4.
- "Manitoba male under-17 capture silver at Canada Games". Hockey Manitoba. 2007-03-04. Retrieved 2011-01-13.[permanent dead link]
- Associated Press (2007-07-15). "North Dakota hockey getting another Toews". USA Today. Retrieved 2011-01-13.
- "2008 Draft prospects - North American skaters". National Hockey League. Retrieved 2011-01-13.
- Burnside, Scott (2008-06-21). "When it comes to the draft, it's all relative". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2011-01-13.
- "David Toews acquired by Hawks". ESPN. September 9, 2011. Retrieved September 9, 2011.
- Monroe, Mark (October 14, 2011). "McCollum gets call for Walleye". Toledo Blade. Retrieved October 15, 2011.
- "Roster-BakersfieldCondors.com". Retrieved October 12, 2012.
- "David Toews". Retrieved February 25, 2013.[permanent dead link]
- "Royals add forward David Toews". Reading Royals. September 4, 2013. Retrieved September 4, 2013.
- "Hockey Canada announced national men's summer under-18 team for Memorial of Ivan Hlinka Tournament". Hockey Canada. 2007-08-08. Retrieved 2011-01-13.
- Canadian Press (2007-08-08). "Canada unveils under-18 roster". Toronto Star. Retrieved 2011-01-13.
- "Canada 4 - Russia 5". Hockey Canada. 2007-08-18. Retrieved 2011-01-13.