David Wootton (historian)
|Born||15 January 1952|
Winchester, Hampshire, England
|Alma mater||Balliol College, Oxford |
Peterhouse, Cambridge (MA, Ph.D.)
|Fields||History, Intellectual history, Cultural history, History of political thought|
David Richard John Wootton (born 15 January 1952) is a British historian. He is Anniversary Professor of History at the University of York. He has given the Raleigh Lecture at the British Academy (2008); the Carlyle Lectures at the University of Oxford (2014); the Benedict Lectures at Boston University (2014); and the Besterman Lecture at Oxford University (2017).
- Paolo Sarpi: Between Renaissance and Enlightenment (1983) 2002 pbk edition; (See Paolo Sarpi.)
- Bad Medicine: Doctors Doing Harm Since Hippocrates (2006)
- Galileo: Watcher of the Skies (2010) (See Galileo Galilei.)
- The Invention of Science: A New History of the Scientific Revolution (2015): finalist for the Cundill History Prize, 2016.
- Power, Pleasure, and Profit: Insatiable Appetites from Machiavelli to Madison (2018)
- Coleman, Janet (Winter 1986). "Reviewed Work: Paolo Sarpi, Between Renaissance and Enlightenment by David Wootton". History of Political Thought. 7 (3): 579–581. JSTOR 26213321.
- McClure, Iain (2006). "Bad Medicine: Doctors Doing Harm Since Hippocrates". BMJ. 333 (7568): 606. doi:10.1136/bmj.333.7568.606. PMC 1569979.
- Gingerich, Owen (24 December 2010). "Starry Messenger (joint review of Galileo by J. L. Heilbron and Galileo: Watcher of the Skies by David Wootton)". NY Times. (See John L. Heilbron.)
- Peter Barker, "Wootton and Wittgenstein", Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part A, 84 (2020), 95-98, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.shpsa.2020.08.007.
- Daston, Lorraine (28 November 2015). "The Invention of Science: A New History of the Scientific Revolution by David Wootton review — a big bang moment". The Guardian.
- Soll, Jacob (2020), review of Power, Pleasure, and Profit: Insatiable Appetites from Machiavelli to Madison, The American Historical Review, Volume 125, Issue 4, Pages 1496–1497, https://doi.org/10.1093/ahr/rhz676
- Matytsin, Anton M. (2021). "Review of Power, Pleasure, and Profit: Insatiable Appetites from Machiavelli to Madison by David Wootton". The Journal of Modern History. 93 (2): 440–442. doi:10.1086/713860. S2CID 236331692.
- Contributions at the London Review of Books
- Contributions at the TLS
- Interview in The Guardian about Bad Medicine and the development of medicine (April 2008)
- Machiavelli: Devil or Democrat? on Radio 4 (November 2013)
- Lecture on Galileo (January 2015)
- Besterman Lecture on Adam Smith and famine (May 2017)
- Lecture on Virtue (May 2019)
- The Fable of the Bees — In Our Time (October 2018). For numerous other appearance on In Our Time, see List of In Our Time Programmes.