Davis High School (Kaysville, Utah)
|Davis High School|
|325 South Main Street
Kaysville, Utah, 84037
|Type||Public, Senior High School|
Davis High School is a public school located in Kaysville, Utah, United States. It is operated by the Davis School District. The mascot of Davis High School is Dartman. The school was established in 1914 and underwent reconstruction during the 2003-2004 school year.
Davis High School had the highest number of AP exams taken (1,598) as well as the highest percent of AP exams passed (89.1%) within the state of Utah. Davis High School also has an extremely high graduation rate at 99% during the 2013-2014 school year.
The Davis High School Marching Band has always had a long tradition of excellence throughout their band program. In the past the band has been a 2000, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 Bands of America regional finalist (in which it has finished in the top 5), and participated in the Rose Parades of 2003 and 2013.
Their 2011 field show entitled Boo! In the Hall of the Mountain King, took either first or second in every Utah competition, as well as a 3rd place finish in the Bands of America Regional championship.
The Darts participate in class 5-A, the highest classification of high school athletics in the state of Utah. They consistently rank among the states top teams in overall sports. The Darts won the Utah class 5-A state basketball championship in 2002 and the state 5-A football championship in 2004. Davis won back-to-back state championships in hockey. Their first victory came in 2001 with a win over rival Viewmont, the other in 2002 with a win over Brighton. Davis also was the recipient of the Utah High School Activities Association All-Sports Award for the 2004-2005 school year, winning it again for the 2009-2010 school year.
The Davis High Boys Track and Field program is the winningest in the state of Utah, winning 14 state championship titles since 1941. State Record holders include Josh Sides and brothers Spencer Hall and Bryce Hall in the discus, shot put, and hammer. Dixon Brown holds records in the pole vault, and Mark Davenport holds a high jump record. The Davis High Girls Track and Field Program also has 8 state championship titles. Eight of the top ten all time state pole vaulters are claimed by Davis girls.
During the 2013 season, the Davis High Football team became the winningest high school football program in the state of Utah.
Clubs and organizations
- Academic Olympiad
- Anime Club
- AP Physics Club
- Fashion Board
- Bowling Club
- Operation Smile
- Science Olympiad
- Best Buddies
- Fencing Club
- Film Club
- Golden Grins Improv Club (and team)
- Technology Student Association (TSA)
- VEX Robotics
- Senior Committee
- Future Farmers of America
- Skills USA
- Chess Club.
- Fine Arts Club
Davis High School has a student-run school store called "The Point" open every day at lunch. The Point sells desserts, drinks, and various lunch items as well as school apparel. The store is run by students in the retail class, part of the School of Business.
Davis High School's former building, which stood from 1914 until 2003, housed a school store called The Canteen. Like The Point, this location offered a selection of food and beverage items as well as school-related merchandise.
The Davis Dart is the official news publication for the school. The student staff is collectively referred to as the Dart Staff. The publication is released each term. However, the Dart Staff Website is updated bi-weekly. DTV is the broadcast news side of the Davis Dart and is released every other week during advisories.
Davis has several rivalries, including with Viewmont High School, Northridge High School, American Fork High School, Layton High School, and Fremont High School,. Layton and Davis are crosstown rivals and have recently been at the top of the Region 1 standings in most major sports.
Layton High School and Davis High School have had a rivalry for years. Incidents have included vandalism of football fields, graffiti on school buildings, and violence at sporting events.
The rivalry between Davis and American Fork is primarily between the two schools' marching band and cross country programs. In the Battle of the Bands, Davis and American Fork are regularly competing for the top spot in Utah competitions. In cross country the schools are always close in competitions, and both are ranked in the top 25 nationally.
2012 fine incidents
In the spring of 2012, the school stopped selling soda pop and candy through vending machines after it was fined twice for violating federal government rules intended to promote healthy eating. However, three students sell soda at lunch now, off of school grounds.
- Bernard Francis Fisher - First living member of the United States Air Force to receive the Medal of Honor.
- Calvin L. Rampton - 11th Governor of Utah.
- Rob Bishop - Republican member of the U.S. House of Representatives.
- Jill Stevens - Miss Utah 2007.
- Nolan Bushnell - Co-founder of Atari, Inc., developer of Pong
- About us on school web site
- Utahns top U.S. on SAT, AP tests by Jennifer Toomer-Cook in Deseret Morning News, August 29, 2007
- Hale, April (January 15, 2012). "Davis High School band returning to Rose Parade". Standard-Examiner.
- "2011 Fall Results, St George UT". October 29, 2011. Retrieved Oct 26, 2013.
- "2011-13 Classifications & Regions" (PDF). Utah High School Activities Association. August 17, 2011. Retrieved May 19, 2012.
- "Boys Track and Field Records Compiled Since 1911" (PDF). http://uhsaa.org. Utah High School Activities Association Sports Records Book.
- "Girls Track and Field Records Compiled Since 1974" (PDF). http://uhsaa.org. Utah High School Activities Association Sports Records Book.
- List of clubs on school web site
- Davis Darts school store web site
- Thumbtack prank backfires on prep football player by Associated Press, September 2006
- Saxton, Bryon (May 17, 2012). "Davis High pulls plug on pop, candy machines after being fined". Standard-Examiner. Retrieved May 19, 2012.
- Anderson, Mike (Jan 9, 2013). "Davis High students find way to profit from soda ban". KSL. Retrieved Oct 26, 2013.
- "Medal of Honor recipient receives diploma" The Official Website of the U.S. Air Force
- McCormick, John S. "Calvin L. Rampton". Utah History To Go. Retrieved May 19, 2012.
- "Rob Bishop biography".
- Speckman, Stephan (July 3, 2007). "Miss Utah is medic for Utah Guard". Deseret News.
- "Davis High School Totally Explained".