Dawn Eden Goldstein
|Dawn Eden Goldstein|
New York, New York
|Alma mater||New York University; Pontifical Faculty of the Immaculate Conception at the Dominican House of Studies; University of St. Mary of the Lake|
|Subject||Roman Catholicism, music|
|The Dawn Patrol|
Dawn Eden Goldstein is an American Roman Catholic author and journalist who was formerly a rock historian and tabloid newspaper headline writer. Under the pen name Dawn Eden, she has also written books on topics concerning faith, sexuality, and spiritual healing.
Goldstein began writing about rock music under the abbreviated name "Dawn Eden" in 1985 for fanzines, eventually becoming a popular-music historian, writing for Mojo, Salon, New York Press, and Billboard, among others. In 1989 she graduated from New York University with a degree in Communications.
Religious conversion and subsequent achievements
She worked as a copy editor at the New York Post from early 2002 to January 2005. A headline she wrote about a toilet-bowl collapse ("Hurt in line of doody") won first place in the "Brightest Headline" category of the 2004 New York State Associated Press Awards. She was forced to leave the Post after edits she made to a story about in vitro fertilization revealed her pro-life sympathies. The firing led the New York Observer to publish a front-page profile of her by George Gurley, "Eden in Exile."
Goldstein was hired in April 2005 by the New York Daily News as assistant news editor of its newly relaunched National Edition. She later became deputy news editor for the newspaper's new weekly regional editions.
In May 2010, she received an M.A. in theology from Dominican House of Studies after defending her master's thesis, a critique of Christopher West's presentation of Pope John Paul II's theology of the body. Three months later, after Alice von Hildebrand cited Goldstein's research in her own critique of West, Catholic News Agency made the thesis available for download.
Goldstein's second book, My Peace I Give You: Healing Sexual Wounds with the Help of the Saints, was published in April 2012 by Ave Maria Press. In November 2012, on the Eternal Word Television Network television program "The Journey Home", she told the story of her conversion to the Catholic faith and spoke about healing from childhood sexual abuse.
After receiving her sacred theology licentiate from the Dominican House of Studies in 2014, Goldstein briefly contributed to the religion-newswriting critique blog GetReligion and began working toward a Doctor of Sacred Theology degree at the University of St. Mary of the Lake. The Thrill of the Chaste (Catholic Edition), a revised version of her 2006 work, was issued in January 2015.
Her fourth book, Remembering God's Mercy: Redeem the Past and Free Yourself from Painful Memories, was published by Ave Maria Press in February 2016. She discussed the book in an interview with Kathryn Jean Lopez at National Review. The book won First Place in the Inspirational category of the Association of Catholic Publishers 2017 Excellence in Publishing Awards. 
In May 2016, Goldstein became the first woman in the University of St. Mary of the Lake's history to receive a Doctor of Sacred Theology degree. Around this time, after years of going under the name "Dawn Eden," she reclaimed her birth surname, as reported in the Chicago Tribune.
Bibliography (as Dawn Eden)
- The Thrill of the Chaste: Finding Fulfillment While Keeping Your Clothes On. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson. 2006. ISBN 084991311X.
- My Peace I Give You: Healing Sexual Wounds with the Help of the Saints. Notre Dame, Ind.: Ave Maria Press. 2012. ISBN 1594712905.
- The Thrill of the Chaste: Finding Fulfillment While Keeping Your Clothes On (Catholic edition). Notre Dame, IN: Ave Maria Press. 2015. ISBN 1594715580.
- Remembering God's Mercy: Redeem the Past and Free Yourself from Painful Memories. Notre Dame, IN: Ave Maria Press. 2016. ISBN 978-1-59471-636-2.
- "Home page". The Dawn Patrol. Blogger.
The blog of author Dawn Eden Goldstein, S.T.D., aka Dawn Eden
- Eden, Dawn. "Alma Mattered: My Great-Aunt's Lessons for Literary Survival". Archived from the original on 2014-01-01.
- Pashman, Manya Brachear (May 7, 2016). "Woman blazes path to train Catholic priests". Chicago Tribune.
- "Dawn Eden Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- Molotkow, Alexandra (August 11, 2013). "She Told Herself She Couldn't Die Because She Had to Write His Story". The New York Times Magazine.
- Kimiadi, Melissa (November 28, 2012). "Dawn Eden’s Lives of the Saints for victims of sexual abuse". A Journey Through NYC Religions.
- Eden, Dawn (February 27, 2009). "UPDATED WITH MEMORIAL DETAILS: Remembering Francis Canavan S.J.—Part 1". The Dawn Patrol. Blogger.
- "Department of Corrections: Howdy, Doody" Archived April 24, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.. Gawker. April 27, 2004.
- Buffa, Denise (April 26, 2004). "Hurt in line of doody - exploding toilet suit". New York Post. Retrieved 2009-10-05
- Gurley, George. "Eden in Exile", 2005-02-14, archived from the original on 2005-02-12, New York Observer.
- Eden, Dawn (1 August 2014). "The Inky-Fingered Dawn". GetReligion.org. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- Eden, Dawn (March 2, 2008). "The thrill of the chaste: In defense of sexless dating" Archived 2009-09-23 at the Wayback Machine.. MSNBC.
- Eden, Dawn (August 25, 2008). "Orientation day". The Dawn Patrol. Blogger.
- von Hildebrand, Alice. "Dietrich von Hildebrand, Catholic Philosopher, and Christopher West, Modern Enthusiast: Two Very Different Approaches to Love, Marriage and Sex". Catholic News Agency. Retrieved January 11, 2014.
- "Dawn Eden releases free copy of Theology of the Body thesis on CNA". Catholic News Agency. August 10, 2010.
- My Peace I Give You. Ave Maria Press. Retrieved January 11, 2014.
- Eden, Dawn (November 13, 2012). "WATCH NOW: My interview on EWTN's 'The Journey Home'". Patheos.
- The Thrill of the Chaste (Catholic Edition). Ave Maria Press. Retrieved January 29, 2015.
- Remembering God's Mercy at Ave Maria Press
- Lopez, Kathryn Jean, "How Mercy Frees Us from Bad Memories," National Review, February 12, 2016
- Brown, Therese, "Models of Grace, Mercy, Faith Primary Focus of 2017 'Excellence in Publishing Awards' Winners," May 23, 2017, News & Press: ACP News
- Eden, Dawn (May 7, 2016). "Dr. Dawn, What's that Hood that You've Got On?". The Dawn Patrol. Blogger.
- Murphy, Jenny, "Welcome Dr. Dawn Eden Goldstein to Holy Apostles," May 11, 2017, Holy Apostles College and Seminary website