|Awards||AWM/MAA Falconer Lecturer, Fellow of the Association for Women in Mathematics|
|Fields||numerical partial differential equations, fluid mechanics|
|Institutions||Delaware State University|
|Doctoral advisor||Alvin Bayliss and Ted Belytschko|
Dawn Alisha Lott is an applied mathematician at Delaware State University, where she is a professor in the department of physical and computational sciences and, since 2009, the director of the university's honors program.
Education and career
Lott is African-American. She graduated from Bucknell University in 1987, with a bachelor's degree in mathematics, and earned a master's degree in mathematics from Michigan State University in 1989. She did her doctoral work in Engineering Sciences and Applied Mathematics at Northwestern University, completing her Ph.D. in 1994. Her dissertation, Adaptive Chebyshev Pseudo-Spectral Approximation for Shear Band Formation in Viscoplastic Materials, was jointly supervised by Alvin Bayliss and Ted Belytschko.
After postdoctoral research from 1994 to 1997 at the University of Maryland, College Park, Lott became a faculty member at the New Jersey Institute of Technology in 1998. She moved to Delaware State in 2003.In 2004, she was an EDGE instructor.
Lott was selected as a Fellow of the Association for Women in Mathematics in the Class of 2021 "for her deep commitment to the advancement of women as reflected through her many roles in AWM, the National Association of Mathematicians, and other associations as a committee member, leader, mentor, and speaker, and in supervision of several women obtaining the PhD or MS degree".
- Biography of Dr. Dawn A. Lott, retrieved 2018-10-31
- Faculty Profiles, Delaware State University, 13 December 2016, retrieved 2018-10-31
- Dr. Dawn Lott named new director of Honors Program at DSU, Delaware State University, July 9, 2009, retrieved 2018-10-31
- "Dawn Lott", Past Falconer Lecturers, Association for Women in Mathematics, retrieved 2018-10-31. See also Lott's talk abstract.
- Williams, Scott W., "Dawn A. Lott", Black Women in Mathematics, University at Buffalo, retrieved 2018-10-31
- Dawn Lott at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "EDGE for Women". Archived from the original on 2015-09-06. Retrieved June 23, 2020.
- DSU Presents its 2013 Faculty Excellence Awards, Delaware State University, May 30, 2013, retrieved 2018-10-31
- DSU Announces 2014 Faculty Excellence Award Recipients, Delaware State University, May 30, 2014, retrieved 2018-10-31
- "Dawn A. Lott". Mathematically Gifted & Black. Archived from the original on 2020-06-12.
- "The AWM Fellows Program: 2021 Class of AWM Fellows". Association for Women in Mathematics. Retrieved 7 November 2020.