Days of Gold (song)
|"Days of Gold"|
|Song by The Cadillac Three|
|from the album The Cadillac Three|
|Producer(s)||The Cadillac Three|
|"Days of Gold"|
|Single by Jake Owen|
|from the album Days of Gold|
|Released||August 12, 2013|
|Jake Owen singles chronology|
"Days of Gold" is a song written by Jaren Johnston and Neil Mason, two-thirds of the American country music group The Cadillac Three, and originally recorded by them on their 2012 self-titled debut album. It was covered by American country music artist Jake Owen. It was released in August 2013 as the first single and title track from his fourth studio album of the same name. The song, about the singer's description of a summer night, garnered positive reviews from critics.
"Days of Gold" peaked at numbers 15 and 19 on both the Billboard Country Airplay and Hot Country Songs charts respectively. It also reached number 83 on the Hot 100 chart. The song also charted in Canada, reaching number 28 on the Canada Country chart. A music video, directed by Mason Dixon, was created for the single.
The song is an up-tempo about a summer night which the narrator describes as "days of gold".
Billy Dukes of Taste of Country gave the song four and a half stars out of five, saying that "‘Days of Gold’ isn’t a song, it’s a statement. It’s a show-closer, and if Owen’s new album comes with songs that match this authority, he’ll be soon closing shows for much larger audiences." Giving it an "A", Tammy Ragusa of Country Weekly said that it "has an in-your-face grit and texture that suits his natural vocal and endless energy." She also wrote that the lyrics are "less about a season and more an about an attitude" and "[take] a less overt approach while still staying true to a rural lifestyle."
The music video was directed by Mason Dixon and premiered in September 2013.
"Days of Gold" debuted at number 48 on the U.S. Billboard Country Airplay chart for the week of August 17, 2013, and debuted at number 37 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for the week of August 24, 2013. It also debuted at number 91 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart for the week of October 26, 2013.
|Canada Country (Billboard)||28|
|US Billboard Hot 100||83|
|US Country Airplay (Billboard)||15|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||19|
|US Country Airplay (Billboard)||71|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||81|
- "The Cadillac Three". Allmusic. Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- Ragusa, Tammy (30 September 2013). "Reviews: 'Days of Gold'". Country Weekly. 20 (39): 51. ISSN 1074-3235.
- Dukes, Billy (July 24, 2013). "Jake Owen, 'Days of Gold' – Song Review". Taste of Country. Retrieved August 21, 2013.
- "CMT : Videos : Jake Owen : Days of Gold". Country Music Television. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- "Jake Owen Chart History (Canada Country)". Billboard.
- "Jake Owen Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Jake Owen Chart History (Country Airplay)". Billboard.
- "Jake Owen Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "Billboard Country Update for December 16, 2013" (PDF). Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. December 16, 2013. p. 21. Retrieved December 17, 2013.
- "Best of 2013: Hot Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2013. Retrieved December 13, 2013.