Death Race 2
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Death Race 2|
|Directed by||Roel Reiné|
|Produced by||Paul W. S. Anderson
|Screenplay by||Tony Giglio|
|Story by||Paul W. S. Anderson
|Music by||Paul Haslinger|
|Edited by||Radu Ion
Herman P. Koerts
|Distributed by||Universal Studios Home Entertainment|
Death Race 2 (previously titled Death Race: Frankenstein Lives or Death Race 2: Frankenstein Lives) is a 2011 American science fiction action film directed by Roel Reiné, written by Tony Giglio and Paul W. S. Anderson. The film is a prequel to the 2008 film Death Race and was released DVD on January 18, 2011. The film is followed by a sequel, Death Race 3: Inferno (2013).
Getaway driver Carl "Luke" Lucas (Luke Goss) is arrested after a robbery for his crime boss Markus Kane (Sean Bean) goes wrong. As his accomplices are robbing the bank, two officers casually enter the building. Luke tells them to abort, but they refuse; Luke intervenes, but it results in the death of one of the three accomplices. Luke shoots and kills one of the officers and dumps off his accomplices in order to fulfill Markus's wishes. In doing so, Luke is eventually captured by the police following a high-speed chase and sentenced in prison. Six months later, Luke is transferred to Terminal Island.
Terminal Island is a prison under the control of The Weyland Corporation, which hosts Death Match, a televised pay-per-view competition where two dangerous convicts are chosen and then forced to fight to the death or submission. The prisoners are given access to weapons or defense items to use during the fight by stepping on a marked plate in the arena. Luke meets the men who eventually become his pit crew in the Death Race: Lists (Frederick Koehler), who annoys him by over-analyzing everything, Goldberg (Danny Trejo), and Rocco (Joe Vaz). The host of Death Match is September Jones (Lauren Cohan), a former Miss Universe who lost her crown due to allegations of having a sexual relationship with all of its judges. She now works for The Weyland Corporation to create profit from the pay per view subscribers of Death Match. When a convict tries to stab Lists (because of his nature and weakness, as he was convicted only of swindling), Luke takes it upon himself to defend him.
Luke is later approached in the showers by September, who proposes that he fight. When he refuses, she makes sexual advances towards him, which he pretends to go for before refusing. In retaliation, September chooses Lists to fight with in a Death Match with the convict Big Bill who tried to stab him earlier. Luke confronts her while Lists is running for his life during the event, pleading to let him fight in place of Lists. She refuses to help and he jumps over a barbed fence to fight for Lists. He is joined by Katrina Banks (Tanit Phoenix), a woman convict who is serving as a ring girl with other female convicts. She hits the convict with a round number sign made of metal. A riot breaks out during the fight between Luke and the convict because of racial tension, sparked because Luke is white and the other convict is black. The convicts break down the fence to get in, and some of the rapists attack and attempt to rape female convicts. Katrina defends herself and helps other women, who are then evacuated. When the riot control guards come, Luke surrenders. Markus, worried that Luke will trade info on his crimes for immunity, discovers his location at Terminal Island while watching Death Match. Afterward, Luke is well-received when he sees Katrina and inquires about her well-being after the fight.
Markus puts a bounty of $1 million on Luke's head and convinces some of the prisoners to kill him. Meanwhile, September comes up with a plan to boost their profits by converting the Death Match into a "Death Race", where the contestants will have to race over days to win each match. The person who manages to win five matches will be released from prison. Luke joins the race, during which other prisoners try to kill him to earn Markus's bounty. On the second race, Luke's car crashes after being fired a missile by Big Bill (who is later killed by his navigator when he killed his pit crew), Luke's pit crew arrives including Katrina try to save him but it's too late and everybody is led to believe that Luke is dead. In reality, he survives with extensive scarring to his face. He joins the race as the new character "Frankenstein" with a mask to hide his identity from others. As the third race begins, Luke's new Triad friends manage to kill Markus in revenge, Lists kills Luke's pit crew member Rocco who set up on Luke's car and Luke kills September by running her over with his car, before he races with the other competitors.
- Luke Goss as Carl "Luke" Lucas / Frankenstein. His height is 6'1"(185cm)，182IBS(82kg). His car is driven by Frankenstein in Death Race.
- Deobia Oparei as Big Bill, one of Carl Lucas' and Calin's rivals. He kills 19 fighters in the death match. His height is 6'2"(188cm)，250IBS(113kg). His truck is driven by Machine Gun Joe in Death Race.
- Henie Bosman as Xander Grady，one of 14k's rivals,aryan brotherhood's leader. He kills 11 fighters in the death match.His height is 6'4"(193cm)，220IBS(100kg). His car is driven by Slovo Pachenko in Death Race.
- Robin Shou as 14K, a tenth-generation Triad member, who was sent to business school and holds a degree from MIT.He kills 14 fighters in the death match second to Big Bill. His height is 5'11"(180cm)，159IBS(72kg) .He was arrest in Los Angela last year. He is the only racer other than Frankenstein to appear in all three films.
- Warrick Grier as Calin，one of Big Bill's rivals. His car is driven by Carson in Death Race.
- Sean Higgs as Hill Billy. His car is driven by Siad in Death Race.
- Trayan Milenov-Troy as Scarface. His car is driven by Hector Grimm in Death Race.
- Michael Solomon as The Sheik. His car is driven by Travis Colt in Death Race.
- Chase Armitage as Apache. His car is driven by Riggins in Death Race.
- Tanit Phoenix as Katrina Banks, Luke's navigator and love interest.
- Lauren Cohan as September Jones, Death Race's hostess/executive producer, formerly of Death Match. She is a former Miss Universe who lost her crown due to allegations of having a sexual relationship with all of its judges.
- Fred Koehler as Lists, one of Luke's pit crew and a compulsive data collector. His height is 5'9"(175cm)，172IBS(78kg). He is the only other person to appear in all three films. He has been sentenced for murdering his mother
- Ving Rhames as R.H. Weyland, head of Weyland International.
- Danny Trejo as Goldberg, a loyal member of Luke's pit crew.
- Sean Bean as Markus Kane, Luke's former crime boss. In one scene Markus is seen watching the original Death Race 2000 on television.
- Patrick Lyster as Medford Parks, Terminal Island Penitentiary's warden.
- Joe Vaz as Rocco, a member of Luke's pit crew.
The cars in the film are real vehicles that have been heavily modified with armor plating, machine guns and defensive weapons.
- Frankenstein's Monster - A five-speed manual 2006 Ford Mustang GT armed with dual M134 Miniguns for offense, and a smoke screen, napalm, and oil slick for defense, as well as a 6-inch-thick (150 mm) detachable steel plate on the rear bumper called "The Tombstone." It was later driven by Niles York, and lastly, Jensen Ames.
- 1980 Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 RS - A five-speed manual vehicle with a stock 2.7L six-cylinder engine, driven by the Chinese convict 14K, enforced with dual World War II German MG-42 belt-fed general purpose machine guns, four hood-mounted missiles, and four missiles on the roof.
- 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 - Big Bill's five-speed automatic truck with a 5.7L V8 Hemi engine, armed with a cowcatcher, four hood-mounted Browning M1919s, two side-mounted Vulcan cannons, and Russian RPG-7s. It was later driven by Machine Gun Joe.
- 1966 Buick Riviera Gran Sport (serial # 494877H903903)- Xander Grady's turbo three-speed automatic with a 430C.I. V8 engine. The Riviera is enforced with German MG-34s, Uzis, and PPSh-41 submachine guns. It was later driven by Pachenko.
- 1989 BMW E32 735i - Hill Billy's four-speed automatic with a six-cylinder engine. The BMW is enforced with an M134 and bullet-resistant steel. It was later driven by Siad.
- 1979 Pontiac Trans AM - Calin's three-speed automatic with a 350HO V8 engine with a M134 aiming backwards for defense, and a .50 caliber turret on top of his car which is operated by his navigator. It was later driven by Carson.
- 1972 Buick Boattail Riviera - Apache's three-speed automatic with a 430C.I. V8 "Nail Head" engine. The Boattail is enforced with German MG-34s, two Uzis, and two PPSh-41 submachine guns. It was later driven by Riggins.
- 1989 Jaguar XJR-S - The Sheik's four-speed automatic with a V12 engine. The Jaguar is enforced with bullet-resistant steel and 50-caliber M2 machine guns. It was later driven by Travis Colt.
- 2006 Chrysler 300C - Scarface's five-speed automatic with a 345C.I. V8 engine. The Chrysler is enforced with three FN MAG-58s, a missile and oil slick. It was later driven by Hector Grimm.
On November 13, 2009, casting began for the prequel. On December 7, 2009, it was announced that Roel Reiné would direct the film. On January 5, 2010, Luke Goss was announced for the leading role as Carl "Luke" Lucas, who becomes "Frankenstein".
Principal photography began on February 13, 2010 in Cape Town, South Africa. The film was shot in various locations in and around the central city of Cape Town, including the Castle of Good Hope, Robben Island (where Nelson Mandela and several other notable figures were imprisoned during the Apartheid years) and an abandoned cement factory near the townships outside Cape Town.
A straight to DVD and Blu-ray sequel called Death Race 3: Inferno was released in January 2013.
- The Cars of Death Race part 2, IGN (Jan 30, 2008)
- "'Death Race: Frankenstein Lives' Begins Casting". BloodyDisgusting.
- "Director Announced for 'Death Race: Frankenstein Lives'". BloodyDisgusting.
- Mahadeo, Kevin (March 1, 2010). "Sean Bean Joins Luke Goss in Death Race 2: Frankenstein Lives – Filming Began Today". Collider.com. Retrieved June 21, 2010.
- Lewinski, John Scott (May 6, 2010). "Six features filmed in South Africa". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved May 16, 2011.
- "Death Race 2 Trailer". Matt's Movie Reviews. 2010-03-10.