Debt Mediators Australia
Debt action plans|
Personal insolvency agreements
|Services||Consumer Debt Assistance|
Debt Mediators Australia is an Australian company based in the financial services industry. It provides a number of debt solutions, including budgeting, debt agreements, personal insolvency and bankruptcy. The company was founded in 1999 by Michael Paris. The company focuses on providing debt reduction and consolidation services to its clients. Many of Debt Mediators Australia's clients are $30,000 or more in debt, and many clients are teens and people in their early twenties. Debt Mediators Australia is a registered debt agreement administrator and a member of the Personal Insolvency Professionals Association.
According to company spokesman Ben Paris, the company advises 25,000 indebted young people a year. Paris is frequently cited as an expert in Generation Y debt issues. For instance, in 44 Letters from the Liquid World by Zygmunt Bauman, Paris is quoted as saying that many "young people 'borrow way beyond their means.'" About young people drowning in debt, Paris was quoted on 60 Minutes as saying, "They're not going to be able to afford kids. They're not going to be able to afford a home, and more than likely they're going to be on a pension." The Bulletin quotes Paris as blaming a “credit-based lifestyle” for the surprising amount of debt that many people are in, in Australia. The Brisbane Times quoted Paris as saying, "Everyone's keeping up with the Joneses, but the Joneses can't even afford it."
- "Generation Y and the financial crisis". Radio National. 30 November 2008. Retrieved 31 August 2015.
- Calligeros, Marissa (12 October 2008). "Debt-stressed Gen Y is the 'new poor'". Brisbane times. Retrieved 31 August 2015.
- "Debt Mediators on 'Today'". Today. 19 February 2015. Retrieved 31 August 2015.
- "Debt Mediators on Channel 10 News". Channel 10 News. 19 February 2015. Retrieved 31 August 2015.
- Lutton, Ellen. “Secret Debts and Lies Tear Families.” Sydney Morning Herald, 24 August 2008.
- Bauman, Zygmunt (17 April 2013). 44 Letters From the Liquid World. John Wiley & Sons. Retrieved 31 August 2015.
- "Debt Mediators on 60 Minutes". 60 Minutes. 19 February 2015. Retrieved 31 August 2015.
- Butterworth, Liam. “Plastic has families falling short.” Bulletin, 22 February 2010
- Calligeros, Marissa (19 February 2010). "Debt by postcode - who's in the red?". Brisbane Times. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "Debt Mediators". SBS Insight. Retrieved 2 September 2015.