Defence Housing Australia
|Jurisdiction||Commonwealth of Australia|
Defence Housing Australia (DHA) is an Australian government business enterprise established by the Defence Housing Australia Act 1987. DHA supplies housing and related services to Australian Defence Force members and their families in line with Defence operational requirements. To meet these requirements, DHA is active in Australian residential housing markets, acquiring and developing land, and constructing and purchasing houses.
Each year, DHA sells a portion of its portfolio through a property investment and leaseback program. Revenue generated from this activity is DHA’s primary source of capital. It funds DHA’s operations and enables the continual provision of quality housing to Defence members and their families. In turn, investors benefit from DHA’s property expertise and the security of a DHA lease agreement.
Services for Defence members and families
- Assistance in finding a housing solution
- Management and maintenance of housing
- Administration of the allowance for Defence members occupying rental accommodation
- Construction and acquisition of properties to meet Defence housing demands
- Redevelopment of properties to meet Defence standards.
Services for investors and property owners
- Sale and leaseback of properties through the property investment program
- Secure, long-term leasing arrangements for property owners
- Property maintenance and tenancy management.
DHA is also a prominent and award-winning residential developer with projects across Australia. DHA are committed not only to building houses, but also to building sustainable communities. The Urban Development Institute of Australia awarded DHA a 2012 Queensland Boral Award for Excellence for Gordon Olive Estate, located in McDowall, Brisbane.
DHA was established as a statutory authority in 1988 and in 1992 became a government business enterprise. This means DHA is a commercially funded organisation that undertakes business activities on behalf of the Government.
- APS Statistical Bulletin 2015-2016 (Report). Australian Public Service Commission. September 2016.
- National Commission of Audit - Market based solutions