|First issue||1 September 2009|
Dein Spiegel (Your Mirror in English) is a monthly German magazine aimed at young people. The magazine provides news in an appealing and educative way.
History and profile
Dein Spiegel was first published on 1 September 2009. The magazine began to be published as monthly in December 2009. The publisher of the monthly is Spiegel Verlag which also publishes Der Spiegel among the others. The co-chief editors of the monthly were Georg Mascolo and Mathias Müller von Blumencron until 2013 when they both left the company. There is a four-member core editorial team in addition to 20 editors who also write for Der Spiegel.
The magazine targets children ages between 8 and 14. The contents of the magazine mirror those in Der Spiegel, but they are offered in an age-appropriate manner and entertaining and educational way. The topics covered include stories of politics, economics, nature and technology, culture, sport and people in Germany and other countries. The monthly also publishes interviews undertaken by child reporters one of which was with Jose Manuel Barroso, President of the European Commission, in Hamburg in April 2012. The publisher, Spiegel Verlag, introduces Dein Spiegel as "the news magazine for enquiring girls and boys". Arnd Zickgraf describes the magazine as the first political children’s magazine.
- Leah McBride Mensching (20 January 2010). "German press targets younger audience". WAN IFRA. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- Andra Leurdijk; Mijke Slot; Ottilie Nieuwenhuis (2012). "The Newspaper Publishing Industry" (Technical Report). EU Commission. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- "2012 Brochure" (PDF). Spiegel Gruppe. 2012. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- Lena Molitor (22 October 2009). "Dein Spiegel now monthly". Media Bulletin. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- Eric Pfanner (29 April 2013). "New Der Spiegel Editor will Also Oversee Web Business". The New York Times. Serraval. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- Arnd Zickgraf (May 2010). "Print for Children: the Boom in Children Magazines". Goethe Institute. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- "Rate card 2013" (PDF). Speigel QC. Retrieved 6 October 2013.[permanent dead link]
- "Dein Spiegel". Euro Books. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- "Interview with Dein Spiegel". EU Commission. Retrieved 6 October 2013.