23 December 1993 |
Grand Turk Island, Turks and Caicos Islands
|Event(s)||100 metres, 200 metres, 400 metres|
|Achievements and titles|
|Personal best(s)||100 m: 10.28 (Kingston 2013)
200 m: 20.27 (Kingston 2013)
400 m: 45.42 (Kingston 2015)
Delano Williams (born 23 December 1993) is a British sprinter, originally from the British Overseas Territory of the Turks and Caicos Islands. In June 2013, it was confirmed that Williams would henceforth compete for Great Britain, as was his right by dint of the right to British citizenship of Turks and Caicos Islanders. Williams trains with the Racers Track Club in Jamaica.
Williams aimed to compete for Great Britain in the 200 metres at the 2012 Summer Olympics. He cannot represent his native Turks and Caicos Islands, because they are not recognised by the International Olympic Committee, however, using a similar by-law to Anguillan long jumper Shara Proctor, Williams is eligible to represent Great Britain as Turks and Caicos are a British Overseas Territory. He finished fifth at the UK Olympics Trials, so was not selected.
Born and raised on Grand Turk Island to a Haitian mother, Williams moved to Jamaica in 2008, after Hurricane Ike destroyed his school. Running for Munro College, he won the 100 and 200 metres at the 2012 Jamaican National High School Track and Field Championships, becoming the first non-national to do so.
- Delano Williams set to compete for Great Britain at World Athletics Championships in Moscow
- Gonzalez, Jermaine (5 April 2012). "Pressure produces stars such as Delano Williams". Guardian.
- Hart, Simon (3 April 2012). "Turks and Caicos sprint sensation Delano Williams becomes latest Team GB recruit". Telegraph.
- "UKA - 200 METRES - Men - Final". UK Athletics. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Williams: I slept through Hurricane Ike so I won't be troubled by a storm over my passport". Daily Mail. 7 April 2012.
- TCI track star Delano Williams creates history in Jamaica
|This biographical article relating to Turks and Caicos Islands athletics is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|