BV Den Helder
|Den Helder Kings|
|Location||Den Helder, Netherlands|
|Team colors||White, Navy Blue, Azure
|Championships||6 Dutch Championships
1 Dutch Cup
BV Den Helder was a professional basketball club from Den Helder, Netherlands. The team had several seasons in the Dutch Basketball League, the highest professional league in the Netherlands. The club is currently inactive, however Den Helder Suns has replaced the club as professional team from Den Helder.
The club has won the Dutch League six times and the NBB Cup once. The club had a long history of financial troubles, with the club being dissolved three times. The last time the club appeared at the highest level was in 2014, as the professional team was declared bankrupt during that season.
The club was founded in 1981, as a separation was made between amateur sports club BV Noordkop. BV Den Helder became the separated professional team. The club played in the Eredivisie in its first season. Home games were played in Sporthal Sportlaan and Sporthal de Slenk. With coach Ton Boot the club experienced its best years: the team won the championship six times between 1989 and 1998. Den Helder won the NBB Cup in 1992. In 2005, the club was forced to leave the Dutch Basketball League because of a shortage of money. The club played a few years in an amateur competition. Den Helder returned to the professional level in 2007, but after two seasons the club was declared bankrupt.
In 2012 the club changed its name to Den Helder Kings, as the first team joined the Dutch Basketball League again. Before the 2014 Playoffs, the name of the club was changed to Port of Den Helder Kings after the club started a conjunction with the Port of Den Helder.
In the 2014–15 season, financial problems troubled the Kings once again. The team had a €200,000 deficit in their budget and in December the professional team was declared bankrupt. All results of the team were removed and the Kings were expelled from the DBL.
- 1981–1984: Albert van Zoonen/Cracks
- 1984–1986: Doppeldouche
- 1986–1989: Direktbank
- 1989–1992: Commodore
- 1992–1995: Mustang Jeans Den Helder
- 1995–1997: René Colthof
- 1997–2000: Hans Verkerk
- 2000–2001: Conesco
- 2001–2003: CEB/Noordkop
- 2003–2005: Cape Holland
- 2005–2007: BlueStream Seals
- 2007–2009: Den Helder Seals
- 2012–2014: Den Helder Kings
- 2014: Port of Den Helder Kings
- Winners (6): 1988–89, 1989–90, 1990–91, 1991–92, 1994–95, 1997–98
- Winners (1): 1991–92
Season by season
Note: Flags indicate national team eligibility at FIBA sanctioned events. Players may hold other non-FIBA nationality not displayed.
To appear in this section a player must have either:
- The original Den Helder professional team was founded in 1981. It went bankrupt and disappeared in 2009. The team returned in 2012. In 2014, Den Helder Kings was declared bankrupt.
- "Basketball club Den Helder bankrupt". RTV N-H (in Dutch). June 16, 2009. Retrieved January 28, 2014.
- "Den Helder professional basketball back in Eredivisie". Den Helder Kings (in Dutch). May 31, 2012. Retrieved January 28, 2014.
- "Basketballers verder als Port of Den Helder Kings". Den Helder Actueel (in Dutch). 24 April 2014. Archived from the original on 26 April 2014. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- BV Noordkop Geschiedenis