BV Den Helder
|Port of Den Helder Kings|
|Leagues||Dutch Basketball League|
|Location||Den Helder, Netherlands|
|Team colors||White, Navy Blue, Azure
|Main sponsor||Port of Den Helder|
|Head coach||Jean-Marc Jaumin|
|Championships||6 Dutch Championships
1 Dutch Cup
Basketball Vereniging Den Helder or simply Den Helder, mostly known for sponsorship reasons as Port of Den Helder Kings is a former professional basketball club from Den Helder, Netherlands. The team played in the Dutch Basketball League, the highest professional league in the Netherlands.
The club has won the Dutch League six times and the NBB Cup once. In 2009, the club went bankrupt and was forced to leave the Dutch Basketball League, but in 2012 Den Helder returned to the highest stage. In 2014, the club went bankrupt once again.
The club was founded in 1981, and played in the Eredivisie in its first season. Home games were played in Sporthal Sportlaan and Sporthal de Slenk. With coach Ton Boot the club experienced its best years: the team won the championship 6 times between 1989 and 1998. Den Helder won the NBB Cup in 1992. In 2005, the club was forced to leave the Dutch Basketball League because of a shortage of money. The club played a few years in an amateur competition. Den Helder returned to the professional level in 2007, but after two seasons the club was declared bankrupt.
In 2012 the club was refounded and entered the Dutch Basketball League as the Den Helder Kings. Before the 2014 Playoffs, the name of the club was changed in Port of Den Helder Kings after the club started a conjunction with the Port of Den Helder.
In the 2014–15 season, financial problems troubled the Kings once again. The team had a €200,000 deficit in their budget and in December the club was declared bankrupt. All results of the team were removed and the Kings were expelled from the DBL.
Since its establishment the club frequently changed its name due to sponsorship deals.
- 1981 – 1984 : Albert van Zoonen/Cracks
- 1984 – 1986 : Doppeldouche
- 1986 – 1989 : Direktbank
- 1989 – 1992 : Commodore
- 1992 – 1995 : Mustang jeans
- 1995 – 1997 : René Colthof
- 1997 – 2000 : Hans Verkerk
- 2000 – 2001 : Conesco
- 2001 – 2003 : CEB/Noordkop
- 2003 – 2005 : Cape Holland
- 2005 – 2007 : BlueStream Seals
- 2007 – 2009 : Den Helder Seals
- 2012 – 2014 : Den Helder Kings
- 2014 : Port of Den Helder Kings
- Winners (6): 1988-89, 1989–90, 1990–91, 1991–92, 1994–95, 1997–98
- Winners (1): 1991-92
Season by season
- Ton Boot 8 seasons: 1985-1993
- The original Den Helder professional team was founded in 1981. In its existence it went bankrupt and disappeared in 2009. The team returned in 2012. In 2014, Den Helder Kings was declared bankrupt.
-  (Dutch)
- "Basketball club Den Helder bankrupt". RTV N-H (in Dutch). June 16, 2009. Retrieved January 28, 2014.
- "Den Helder professional basketball back in Eredivisie". Den Helder Kings (in Dutch). May 31, 2012. Retrieved January 28, 2014.
- "Basketballers verder als Port of Den Helder Kings". Den Helder Actueel (in Dutch). 24 April 2014. Archived from the original on 26 April 2014. Retrieved 25 April 2014.