Dennis Nielsen is a retired United States Air Force Colonel who is most widely known for having participated in rescue effort of the United Airlines Flight 232 crash in Sioux City, Iowa in 1989. Born in Shelby, Iowa, he has lived in the small town of Nashville, North Carolina since he retired from the Air National Guard in 2002.
After his military retirement, he has attempted to be elected to various offices in North Carolina. In 2004, he ran as a Republican against Democratic state senator A. B. Swindell; in 2006, he ran unsuccessfully in the primary for state House of Representatives; and in the 2008 primary elections, he attempted to become the Democratic candidate for Governor of North Carolina, opposing the sitting Lieutenant Governor, Beverly Perdue and the State Treasurer, Richard H. Moore. In the elections, Nielsen came last, receiving 60,000 of the 1.3 million votes cast. Beverly Perdue eventually became the new governor, narrowly beating Republican Pat McCrory (who became governor after Perdue in 2013).
In his 2008 campaign, Nielsen advocated the elimination of property tax for those over 65 years of age with an annual adjusted gross income of less than $40,000; he wanted to give tax credits to parents who home-schooled or sent their children to private schools; he proposed the creation of citizen groups that inspected state government activities on behalf of the governor; he wanted much more liberal gun laws in North Carolina; he wanted to remove vehicle inspections in North Carolina; and he promised to prosecute any employer who hired illegal immigrants, didn't submit income taxes and social security from their employees, and possibly also those who didn't pay their employees minimum wage.
- Newsobserver.com, Under the Dome: Dennis Nielsen Linked 2014-09-05
- "Biography". Votenielsen.com. Retrieved 2014-09-05.
- "Another candidate for governor | newsobserver.com projects". Projects.newsobserver.com. 2007-11-02. Retrieved 2009-07-27.
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, 2008 Primary Election
- "Property Taxes". Votenielsen.com. Retrieved 2009-07-27.
- "Education - an easy fix". Votenielsen.com. Retrieved 2009-07-27.
- "By the People". Votenielsen.com. Retrieved 2009-07-27.
- "Gun Laws in North Carolina". Votenielsen.com. Retrieved 2014-09-05.
- "Let's Get Rid of Vehicle Inspections". Votenielsen.com. Retrieved 2014-09-05.
- "Illegal Means Illegal". Votenielsen.com. Retrieved 2014-09-05.