Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research
|Formed||3 December 2007|
|Dissolved||14 December 2011|
|Jurisdiction||Commonwealth of Australia|
|Annual budget||A$9.384 billion (2011-12)|
The Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research (also called DIISR) was a department of the Australian Government that existed between December 2007 and December 2011. The Department was charged with further developing growth in Australian industries and advancements in science and research. Ministers with responsibility for the department included Kim Carr, Minister for Innovation, Industry, Science and Research and Nick Sherry, Minister for Small Business.
The department was responsible for:
- Manufacturing and commerce including industry and market development
- Industry innovation policy and technology diffusion
- Promotion of industrial research and development, and commercialisation
- Biotechnology, excluding gene technology regulation
- Export services
- Marketing, including export promotion, of manufactures and services
- Investment promotion
- Enterprise improvement
- Construction industry
- Small business policy and implementation
- Business entry point management
- Facilitation of the development of service industries generally
- Bounties on the production of goods
- Trade marks, plant breeders’ rights and patents of inventions and designs
- Country of origin labelling
- Weights and measures standards
- Civil space issues
- Analytical laboratory services
- Science policy
- Promotion of collaborative research in science and technology
- Co-ordination of research policy
- Commercialisation and utilisation of public sector research relating to portfolio programs and agencies
- Research grants and fellowships
- Information and communications technology industry development
The Department was made up of several divisions including Innovation, Manufacturing, Science & Research, Corporate, Industry & Small Business Policy, eBusiness and Questacon. The Enterprise Connect and AusIndustry divisions served as the program delivery arms of the Department.
- CA 9186: The Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research, National Archives of Australia, retrieved 8 December 2013
- "DIISR - Our Organisation". Government of Australia. Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- "Organisational Chart" (PDF). Government of Australia. Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- "Administrative Arrangement Order" (PDF). Government of Australia. 3 December 2007. Retrieved 4 December 2007.
- Grattan, Michelle (2 June 2011). "For some, there's no getting away". The Age (Fairfax Media). Archived from the original on 19 February 2014.