Derek Smith (ice hockey, born 1984)
October 13, 1984 |
Belleville, ON, CAN
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||200 lb (91 kg; 14 st 4 lb)|
Derek A. Smith (born October 13, 1984) is a Canadian American professional ice hockey player. Smith is currently under contract to KHL Medveščak Zagreb of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL). Smith formerly played with the Ottawa Senators and Calgary Flames in the National Hockey League (NHL).
After playing 123 games over four seasons between 2000 and 2004 for the Wellington Dukes of the Ontario Provincial Junior Hockey League, Smith played three more seasons for the Lake Superior State Lakers. Undrafted, he signed as a free agent with the Ottawa Senators of the National Hockey League (NHL) on April 12, 2007, and decided to leave college a year early to pursue his dreams of playing in the NHL. After training camp, Smith was assigned to the Senators' top minor league affiliate, the Binghamton Senators. Smith was re-signed by the Senators to a one-year contract on July 29, 2009.
On February 12, 2010, after the trade of Alex Picard and an injury to Chris Campoli, Smith was called up to the Ottawa Senators. He made his NHL debut against the Detroit Red Wings on February 13, 2010, a 4–1 loss. He stayed on for the next game on February 14 against the New York Islanders. That was the final game before the Olympic break, which Ottawa won 4–3 after coming back from a 3–1 deficit. He was returned to Binghamton afterwards.
On July 13, 2010, Smith was re-signed by Ottawa to a one-year, two-way contract. He recorded his first NHL point when he assisted on a goal by Ottawa's Nick Foligno against the Atlanta Thrashers on March 3, 2011. In 2010-11, Smith was a member of the Binghamton Senators as they captured the 2011 Calder Cup championship in the American Hockey League. In 71 regular season games that season with Binghamton, he recorded 10 goals and 44 assists for 54 points which placed him 4th among AHL defenceman.
Smith was signed by the Calgary Flames to a one-year, two-way contract worth $700,000 on July 12, 2011. Smith scored his first goal for the Flames on November 29, 2011, against Pekka Rinne of the Nashville Predators. On February 8, 2012, the Calgary Flames re-signed Smith to a two-year, one-way contract worth a total of $1.55 million, or $775,000 per year.
In the following 2014–15 season, without an NHL offer on the table, Smith signed his first contract abroad as a free agent, agreeing to a one-year deal with Swiss club, ZSC Lions of the National League A. He appeared in 25 games with the Lions, registering 3 goals and 5 points.
On July 3, 2015, Smith returned to the NHL, signing a one-year, two-way contract with the Arizona Coyotes. Smith failed to make the roster of the parent club and was assigned to its AHL affiliate, the Springfield Falcons, for the remainder of the season.
Regular season and playoffs
|2004–05||Lake Superior State U.||CCHA||38||1||4||5||28||—||—||—||—||—|
|2005–06||Lake Superior State U.||CCHA||36||2||8||10||18||—||—||—||—||—|
|2006–07||Lake Superior State U.||CCHA||43||10||20||30||10||—||—||—||—||—|
|2016–17||KHL Medveščak Zagreb||KHL||44||2||7||9||42||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honors
|All-CCHA Second Team||2006-07|
- "Persistence pays off for Smith". Calgary Flames. 2012-01-03. Retrieved 2012-01-03.
- "Senators sign free agent defenceman Derek Smith". Ottawa Senators. 2007-04-12. Retrieved 2010-02-04.
- "Senators sign Derek Smith and Jeremy Yablonski". National Hockey League. 2009-07-29. Retrieved 2010-02-04.
- "Bulletin: Senators sign defenceman Derek Smith to one-year contract" (Press release). Ottawa Senators. July 13, 2010. Retrieved July 13, 2010.
- "Flames sign D Derek Smith to one-year, two way contract". The Sports Network'. 2011-07-12. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "Flames re-sign Defenseman Smith". Calgary Flames. 2012-02-08. Retrieved 2012-02-08.
- AAVickers (2013-12-08). "Flames have assigned defenseman Derek Smith to the Abbotsford Heat". Twitter. Retrieved 2013-12-08.
- "Coyotes sign Smith on one-year, two-way contract". Arizona Coyotes. 2015-07-03. Retrieved 2015-07-03.
- "Smith strengthens D, Giroux Bears' attack" (in Croatian). KHL Medveščak Zagreb. 2016-07-17. Retrieved 2016-07-17.