Descriptional Complexity of Formal Systems
|Descriptional Complexity of Formal Systems|
|Discipline||Automata theory and formal languages|
|Publisher||Lecture Notes in Computer Science|
Beginning with the 2011 edition, the proceedings of the workshop appear in the series Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Already since the very beginning, extended versions of selected papers are published as special issues of the International Journal of Foundations of Computer Science, the Journal of Automata, Languages and Combinatorics, of Theoretical Computer Science, and of Information and Computation In 2002 DCFS was the result of the merger of the workshops DCAGRS (Descriptional Complexity of Automata, Grammars and Related Structures) and FDSR (Formal Descriptions and Software Reliability). The workshop is often collocated with international conferences in related fields, such as ICALP, DLT and CIAA.
Topics of the workshop
Typical topics include:
- various measures of descriptional complexity of automata, grammars, languages and of related systems
- trade-offs between descriptional complexity and mode of operation
- circuit complexity of Boolean functions and related measures
- succinctness of description of (finite) objects
- state complexity of finite automata
- descriptional complexity in resource-bounded or structure-bounded environments
- structural complexity
- descriptional complexity of formal systems for applications (e.g. software reliability, software and hardware testing, modelling of natural languages)
- descriptional complexity aspects of nature-motivated (bio-inspired) architectures and unconventional models of computing
- Kolmogorov–Chaitin complexity and descriptional complexity
As such, the topics of the conference overlap with those of the International Federation for Information Processing Working Group 1.2 on descriptional complexity.
In a survey on descriptional complexity, Holzer & Kutrib (2010) state that "since more than a decade the Workshop on 'Descriptional Complexity of Formal Systems' (DCFS), [...] has contributed substantially to the development of [its] field of research." In a talk on the occasion of the 10th anniversary of the workshop, Dassow (2009) harvtxt error: no target: CITEREFDassow2009 (help) gave an overview about trends and directions in research papers presented at DCFS.
History of the workshop
Chairs of the Steering Committee of the DCFS workshop series:
|1999 - 2005||Detlef Wotschke|
|2006 - 2017||Giovanni Pighizzini|
|2017 -||Martin Kutrib|
Basic information on each DCFS event, as well as on its precursors, DCAGRS and FSDR, is included in the following table.
- The list of computer science conferences contains other academic conferences in computer science.
- Bianca Truthe: "Report on DCFS 2008." Bulletin of the EATCS 96:160-161, October 2008. Online edition[permanent dead link] accessed Feb 9, 2009.
- Jürgen Dassow: "10 Years DCFS." Talk held at the 11th DCFS in Magdeburg, Germany, July 6–9, 2009.
- Ian McQuillan: "Report on DCFS 2009." Bulletin of the EATCS 99:185-187, October 2009. Online edition accessed Nov 24, 2009.
- Electronic Proceedings in Theoretical Computer Science, official website.
- Holzer, Markus; Kutrib, Martin (2010), "Descriptional Complexity — An Introductory Survey", in Martín-Vide, Carlos (ed.), Scientific Applications of Language Methods, Mathematics, Computing, Language, and Life: Frontiers in Mathematical Linguistics and Language Theory, 2, Imperial College Press, pp. 1–58, ISBN 978-1-84816-544-1, archived from the original (PDF) on March 25, 2012, retrieved March 16, 2011
- McQuillan, Ian; Pighizzini, Giovanni (2010), McQuillan, Ian; Pighizzini, Giovanni (eds.), "Preface", Electronic Proceedings in Theoretical Computer Science, 31, arXiv:1008.1270, doi:10.4204/EPTCS.31
- Andreas Malcher: "Report on DCFS 2012." Bulletin of the EATCS 108:168-169, October 2012. Online edition.