Detroit diesel 6051 quad-71
|Detroit Diesel/General Motors|
|Manufacturer||Detroit Diesel, General Motors|
|Cylinder bore||4.25 in (108 mm)|
|Piston stroke||5 in (130 mm)|
|Cylinder block alloy||Iron|
|Cylinder head alloy||Iron|
|Valvetrain||12 valve (2 per cyl.)|
|Cooling system||heat exchanger|
|Power output||rated at 900hp per quad power pack|
The GM Diesel/Detroit Diesel model 6051 Quad power pack consists of four inline 2-stroke diesel 6-71 engines mounted to one gearbox, usual with one shaft coming out of the power unit. The power units where fitted on landing crafts and ships during World War II, ships including LCI(L), Prab(741) and Nahka (751) were fitted with two of these power units to spin two propellers, Mataphon(761) was fitted with three. There is a later model of this power pack witch has a standard solid shaft for fixed pitch props while this 6051 model is special designed with a hollow main shaft with a sliding iner shaft with a hub on the end thet changes the pitch on the propeller.
- number of engines - 4
- model of engines - 671LA28H, 67LC28H, 671RC28H, 671RA28H series 71 engines
- Number of cylinders per engine- 6
- Bore - 4¼ "
- stroke - 5"
- cubic inch per cylinder 71ci
- cubic inch per engine 426ci, 7.0L
- Engine RPM- 500 to 2100
- gearbox reduction ratio- 3.23-1
- rated HP - 900 total
- lube oil Cap. per engine - dry, 19 qts
- lube oil Cap. per engine -refill, 17qts
- cooling wat Cap. - 142qts total
- starter motor - 24v, solenoid operated
- clutch - 16" single plate, dry disc
- gearbox oil cap. - 6½ gal
- propeller - controllable pitch
- prop size - 46"
- control - electrical control switch at log desk
- General Motors Diesel engine div., Models 6051 quad and 2003 2 cylinder series 71 unit. Operators' Handbook Jan. 1943 rev. Apr. 24, 1944
- Operators' Hand Book Supplementing the Operating and Maintenance Manual, Revised Edition Restricted, Models 6051 Quad 6-Cylinder and 2003 2-Cylinder, Series 71 Diesel Units 1944 General Motors Diesel Engine Div.