Development Dimensions International
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Privately held company|
|Industry||Human Resource Consulting, Talent Management|
|Headquarters||Pittsburgh, PA, USA|
Number of locations
|42 offices in 26 countries|
Number of employees
Development Dimensions International (DDI) is an international human resources and leadership development consultancy. DDI works with organizations to make changes related to leadership development, leadership selection, succession management, and execution and performance.
The company is headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and has more than 1,100 employees throughout 42 offices in 26 countries. William C. Byham, Ph.D., is chairman, Tacy M. Byham, Ph.D., is CEO, and David Tessmann-Keys is president.
DDI was founded in 1970 by William C. Byham, Ph.D., and Douglas Bray, Ph.D. DDI introduced the assessment center approach for identifying leadership skills. Byham’s article, Assessment Centers for Spotting Future Managers (Harvard Business Review), led to inquiries about the process, and later, Byham approached Bray about a partnership.
DDI later branched out into leadership development. It introduced a leadership development program based on behavior modeling: Interaction Management. DDI next created a stand-alone behavioral interviewing system, Targeted Selection, which ensures compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity laws.
DDI’s also works on new HR technology, methodology, and content, including mid- and senior-level development, online assessment for frontline and mid-level leaders, and best practices for succession management.
- Your First Leadership Job: How Catalyst Leaders Bring Out the Best in Others by Tacy M. Byham, Ph.D., and Richard S. Wellins, Ph.D.
- Grow Your Own Leaders by William Byham, Ph.D.
- Realizing the Promise of Performance Management by Robert W. Rogers.
- Zapp The Lightning of Empowerment by William Byham, Ph.D., which has sold more than 4.5 million copies to date.
- Seventh edition of DDI’s Global Leadership Forecast. Presented with The Conference Board.
- "Global Selection Forecast 2012: Know More. Guess Less." Conducted in partnership with Oracle.
- TrainingIndustry.com named DDI one of the “Top 20 Leadership Training Companies” for the sixth time in 2015.
- HR professionals in Singapore voted DDI-Asia/Pacific International (DDI) as one of the top three preferred management training providers according to Human Resources magazine’s Vendors of the Year (2014).
- Awarded first place in Large Leadership Partners and Providers category for HR.com’s Leadership 500 Excellence Awards (2014).
- Named one of the top “Best Medium-Sized Companies to Work for in America” by the Society for Human Resource Management, the Great Place to Work Institute, Inc., and Entrepreneur (2014, 2011, 2010, 2009).
- HRoot’s Human Capital Management magazine awarded DDI China “Best HR Consulting Service Provider in China” (2014, 2013).
- Market Analyst Kennedy named DDI one of the top two providers of leadership development consulting in The Kennedy Vanguard (2013).
- Worked with Bosch Siemens (BSH) on their executive development program earned it the 2012 German HR Excellence Award in the Leadership Development category.
- Earned the “Top Recommended Training Company Award 2011” from the HR Association in China.
- Awarded the silver Chief Learning Officer’s Learning in Practice Award for Excellence in E-Learning 2011.
- Earned Top New Training Product of the Year honors from Human Resource Executive magazine (2011, 2008, 2004, 1998, 1995, 1994, 1991).
- Bersin & Associates recognized DDI as a top leadership development provider (2008).
- Modern Healthcare named DDI one of their “20 Largest Healthcare Management Consulting Firms” (2006).
- Byham, William. "The Assessment Center Method and Methodology: New Applications and Technologies" (PDF).
- Assessment Centers for Spotting Future Managers. Harvard Business Review Reprint Service. 1970-01-01.
- Your First Leadership Job: How Catalyst Leaders Bring Out the Best in Others. Wiley. 2015. ISBN 9781118911952.
- Grow Your Own Leaders: How to Identify, Develop, and Retain Leadership Talent. FT Press. 2002. ISBN 9780130093981.
- Rogers, Robert W. (2004). Realizing the Promise of Performance Management. DDI Press. ISBN 0976151413.
- Byham, William (1988). Zapp! The Lightning of Empowerment: How to Improve Quality, Productivity, and Employee Satisfaction. Random House. ISBN 0449002829.
- "Ready-Now Leaders: 25 Findings to Meet Tomorrow's Business Challenges" (PDF).
- "Global Selection Forecast 2012: Know More. Guess Less" (PDF).
- "2015 Top 20 Leadership Training Companies | Training Industry". www.trainingindustry.com. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- "Vendors of the Year 2014". Issuu. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- "HR.com - The Human Resources Social Network". www.hr.com. 2015-12-29. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- "Chief Learning Officer Announces Learning In Practice Award Finalists". www.clomedia.com. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- "Ahead of the Pack". www.HREOnline.com. Retrieved 2015-12-29.