Devin J. Stewart
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dr. Devin J. Stewart is a professor of Islamic studies and Arabic language and literature. His research interests include Islamic law, the Qur'an, Islamic schools and branches and varieties of Arabic.
Stewart earned his Bachelor of Arts degree Magna cum laude in Near Eastern Studies from Princeton University in 1984, completed the Center for Arabic Study Abroad's program at the American University in Cairo, and then earned his PhD with distinction in Arabic and Islamic studies at the University of Pennsylvania six years later.
Stewart has taught Arabic studies, Islamic studies and Middle Eastern studies at the Department of Middle Eastern and South Asian Studies at Emory University for the past two decades. He also serves on the editorial board for the Library of Arabic Literature. He has also functioned as a guest lecturer on university courses in Jewish studies.
Much of Stewart's work has focused on the reconstruction of early Muslim legal theory based on ancient texts. He has also called attention to infrequently studied genres of Arabic literature such as Maqama.
- "Ibn Zaydún," a biography of Ibn Zaydún, taken from Al-Andalus, pgs. 306-317. Eds. María Rosa Menocal, Raymond P. Scheindlin and Michael Sells. Digital edition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2006. ISBN 9780521030236
- Impoliteness Formulae: The Cognate Curse in Egyptian Arabic. Journal of Semitic Studies, 1997. Vol. 42, pgs. 327-360.
- Islamic Legal Orthodoxy: Twelver Shiite Responses to the Sunni Legal System. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press, 1998.
Conference and lectures
- Conjectural Emendation and Anomalies in the Qur'anic Text, delivered at the Stanford Humanities Center, July 31, 2009.
- Reading Manuscripts of the Qur'an: The Evolution of Arabic Script, delivered at the Michael C. Carlos Museum, October 13, 2010.
- The Sura as Sermon: Generic Questions and the Composition of the Qur'an, delivered at the University of Chicago Divinity School, November 9, 2012.
- The Theory of Love: Ibn Da'ud al-Zahiri's Book of the Flower, delivered at the Center for the Study of Law and Religion at Emory, March 27, 2003.
- Texts and Studies on the Qurʾān, with Gerhard Böwering and Bilal Orfali. Leiden: Brill Publishers. ISSN 1567-2808
- The Terminal Marital Contract in Islamic Law and Practice, in collaboration with the Center for the Study of Law and Religion at Emory, 2001.
- People - Editors. Library of Arabic Literature, 2013.
- Devin J. Stewart at the Center for the Study of Law and Religion.
- Devin J. Stewart (Emory University) at the Columbia Graduate School of Arts and Sciences official site.
- Devin Stewart at the Institute of Ismaili Studies.
- Devin Stewart at the Emory College of Arts and Sciences. Accessed February 20, 2013.
- Library of Arabic Literature at NYU Press. Accessed February 20, 2013.
- Syllabus for "The Sephardi Experience 1492-present," delivered by Dr. Shifra Epstein. Taken from the Jewish Folklore and Ethnology Review, vol. 15, #2, pg. 162. 1993. Issued by the American Folklore Society in conjunction with the Judaic and Near Eastern studies program at Oberlin College.
- Arabic Literary Thresholds: Sites of Rhetorical Turn in Contemporary Scholarship, Introduction, pg. 14. Ed. Muḥsin Jāsim Mūsawī. Leiden: Brill Publishers, 2009. ISBN 9789004176898
- "Ibn Zaydún". Books.google.com.sa. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- WORKSHOP ON EVIDENCE FOR THE EARLY HISTORY OF THE QUR’AN, July 30 – 31, 2009, at the Abbasi Program in Islamic Studies official site.
- Lecture by Dr. Devin Stewart at Atlanta.net. Accessed February 20, 2013.
- The Mellon Islamic Studies Initiative: Qur'anic Studies Today. Official site of the University of Chicago's Divinity School.
- Sex, Marriage, and Family & the Religions of the Book: Modern Problems, Enduring Solutions, March 27, 2003 to March 29, 2003.
- Text Studies on the Qur'an at Brill Online.
- Emory Center For Interdisciplinary Study of Religion Launches Two-Year Project On Sex, Marriage and Family at the Emory University Office of Media Relations. September 21, 2001.
- Dr. Stewart's resume at the University of Emory