Mistry was born in Kanjari, Gujarat and studied at the M S University of Baroda, from 1974 to 1981, and then, on a British Council Scholarship, at the Royal College of Art in London. His first solo exhibition was held at Art Heritage, New Delhi, touring to the Jehangir Art Gallery, Mumbai in 1982. He was Artist in Residence at Kettle's Yard in Cambridge, with a Fellowship at Churchill College, Cambridge in 1984–85 and sculptor in residence at the Victoria and Albert Museum, London in 1988. He represented Britain at the Third Rodin Grand Prize Exhibition in Japan in 1990 and was selected for the solo show 'Asian Artists Today — Fukuoka Annual VII', by the Fukuoka Art Museum, Japan in 1994. In 1992 he was commissioned by Birmingham City Council to design sculptures for Victoria Square, Birmingham.
Mistry was elected Royal Academician in 1991, Fellow of the Royal Society of British Sculptors in 1993 and was awarded an Honorary CBE in 2001. In 1997 he returned to India to become Professor, Head of Sculpture and Dean of the Faculty of Fine Arts at M S University of Baroda. He resigned from the post in 2002.
- Sitting Bull, Liverpool Garden Festival, 1984. Otterspool Promenade, 2006.
- Reguarding Guardians,(sic) Hayward Annual, 1985
- City of Stoke on Trent: Her Head, Gilman Place, Stoke, 1985, bronze, 1m. x 1m. x 1m., commissioned for the National Garden Festival 1986
- Reguarding Guardians of Art, National Museum Cardiff, 1988–90
- Dialectical Image Series, 1990
- River, Youth, Guardians and Object (Variations), a set of sculptures in Victoria Square, Birmingham, England, 1993
- Woman on Rock a sculpture at Tout Quarry, Isle of Portland, Dorset, England.
References and sources
- Public Sculpture of Staffordshire and the Black Country, George T. Noszlopy and Fiona Waterhouse, 2005, ISBN 0-85323-989-4
- Artist's own site
- 1 painting by or after Dhruva Mistry at the Art UK site
- A retrospective of his work at Another Subcontinent
|This article about a British sculptor is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|