Dick Kelsey (politician)
|Member of the Kansas Senate
from the 26th district
January 03, 2009
|Preceded by||Phillip B. Journey|
December 30, 1946 |
Camden, New Jersey
Kelsey was a candidate for the United States House of Representatives in Kansas's 4th congressional district to succeed fellow Republican Todd Tiahrt. He suspended his campaign on March 5, 2010 due to health concerns of his wife. Kelsey endorsed Mike Pompeo to replace Tiahrt on March 17, 2010.
Sen. Kelsey's issue positions and what he supports, according to his website:
- Budget transparency
- Less government spending
- Tax decreases- including the prevention of higher taxes by signing the Taxpayer Protection Pledge 
- Funds for maintaining and improving the public schools
- Making abortion illegal
- Tougher penalties for crime
- Affordable health care and putting "Kansans in charge of their health care dollars."
- Enforcing immigration laws; penalties for illegal immigrants
- Business growth and private sector job growth
- Joint Committee on Corrections and Juvenile Justice Oversight
- Financial Institutions and Insurance
- Public Health and Welfare
Legislation sponsored or co-sponsored by Sen. Kelsey includes:
- An act repealing the Kansas insurance score act
- A resolution regarding the right to bear arms
- An amendment to have supreme court justices' appointments subject to consent of the Senate.
- A proposition to create a budget stabilization fund
Some of the top contributors to Sen. Kelsey's 2008 campaign, according to the National Institute on Money in State Politics:
- Kansas Republican Senatorial Committee, Koch Industries, Kansas Association of Realtors, Restore America PAC Inc., Kansas Medical Society PAC. His total funds raised were $44,000.
His opponent was Pam Frieden who raised $39,000. Her major contributors included the Kansas NEA, Zollerlutzweinbarager LLC, and the Wichita-Hutchinson Labor Federation.
- Dick Kelsey for Congress congressional campaign website
- Kansas Senate
- Project Vote Smart profile
- Follow the Money campaign contributions
- Americans for Tax Reform