Ding Hui (volleyball)
24 June 1989 |
|Height||185 cm (6 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||80 kg (176 lb)|
|Spike||330 cm (130 in)|
|Block||320 cm (126 in)|
Ding Hui (Chinese: 丁慧; pinyin: Dīng Huì) is a biracial Chinese volleyball player currently playing for Warner University in Florida. Ding was notable as the first black athlete to be selected for a Chinese national sports team.
Ding's appearance as a black player is unique in that he is the first Chinese national, with black African ancestry, representing a Chinese national team and his selection to the team garnered widespread media attention, with some commentators saying he 'redefined race in China.' The coach of the national team, Zhou Jianan, was irritated by the number of calls he received inquiring Ding's family background. Zhou dismissed most of these calls, saying that he "fits the requirements established by the Chinese Volleyball Association" and that Ding's background is a "private matter." He was said to be preparing for the 2012 London Olympics.
In his personal life, Ding is very popular among his teammates. He is a little shy but soon would become the favorite of everyone. "He's also a great singer and dancer and he brings more passion to the game than the other players," said Wang Hebing, the head coach of Zhejiang Volleyball team.
In 2012, Ding left Zhejiang men's volleyball team and went to study abroad before the new season started because "there's no future of this sport in China."
- "How Volleyball and Pop Have Shaken China's Idea of Race". China Digital Times. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- "China calls up its first black athlete". Daily Telegraph. London. 5 November 2009. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- "China Welcomes Chinese-African Player to National Team". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- 浙江男排中非混血儿丁慧被选中 国家队有了黑娃. Chengdu Evening Times (in Chinese). 14 April 2009. Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- "National volleyball squad gets first black player". 中国网. Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- "China's volleyball players in no-win position". Chinadaily. Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- "Hui Ding - 2015 Men's Volleyball". Warner University.
- profile at FIVB.org
|This biographical article relating to a People's Republic of China volleyball figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|