Roman Catholic Diocese of Antsirabé
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Diocese of Antsirabé
|Area||16,000 km2 (6,200 sq mi)|
|(as of 2006)
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Antsirabé (Latin: Antsiraben(sis)) is a Latin suffragan diocese in the Ecclesiastical province of Antananarivo (one of five in Madagascar; in the national capital), yet depends on the missionary Roman Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples.
As per 2014, it pastorally served 892,713 Catholics (45.4% of 1,967,703 total) on 16,000 km² in 29 parishes and 2 missions with 125 priests (64 diocesan, 61 religious), 519 lay religious (198 brothers, 321 sisters) and 74 seminarians.
- Established on May 15, 1913 as Apostolic Prefecture of Betafó, on Malagassy territory split off from the then Apostolic Vicariate of Central Madagascar.
- Promoted on August 24, 1918 as Apostolic Vicariate of Betafó, hence entitled to a titular bishop.
- Renamed on January 10, 1921 as Apostolic Vicariate of Antsirabé after its new see.
- Promoted on September 14, 1955 as Diocese of Antsirabé
(Roman rite]], mostly members of missionary Latin congregations)
- Apostolic Prefect of Betafó
- François-Joseph Dantin, Missionaries of Our Lady of LaSalette (M.S.) (born France) (1913.06.24 – 1918.08.24 see below)
- Apostolic Vicars of Betafó
- François-Joseph Dantin, M.S. (see above 1918.08.24 – 1921.01.10 see below), Titular Bishop of Satala in Armenia (1918.08.24 – death 1941.07.05)
- Apostolic Vicars of Antsirabé
- François-Joseph Dantin, M.S. (see above 1921.01.10 – death 1941.07.05)
- Édouard Rostaing, M.S. (born France) (1942.02.24 – death 1946.05.18), Titular Bishop of Curium (1942.02.24 – 1946.05.18)
- Joseph-Paul Futy, M.S. (born France) (1947.02.13 – death 1955.03), Titular Bishop of Aspendus (1947.02.13 – 1956.08.12); previously Apostolic Prefect of Morondava (Madagascar) (1938 – 1947.02.13)
- Suffragan Bishops of Antsirabé
- Claude Rolland, M.S. (born France) (1955.12.19 – death 1973.10.15)
- Jean-Maria Rakotondrasoa, M.S. (first native incumbent) (1974.02.28 – retired 1989.06.19), died 2002
- Philibert Randriambololona, Society of Jesus (S.J.) (1989.06.19 – 1992.12.17), succeeding as previous Coadjutor Bishop of Antsirabé (1988.09.01 – 1989.06.19); later Metropolitan Archbishop of Fianarantsoa (Madagascar) (1992.12.17 – retired 2002.10.01)
- Félix Ramananarivo, M.S. (1994.11.11 - retired 2009.11.13), died 2013
- Philippe Ranaivomanana (2009.11.13 - ...), previously Bishop of Ihosy (Madagascar) (1999.01.02 – 2009.11.14)
|This article on a Roman Catholic diocese in Africa is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|