Roman Catholic Diocese of Comodoro Rivadavia
|Diocese of Comodoro Rivadavia
Dioecesis Rivi Nigri Vallensis Superioris
Diócesis de Comodoro Rivadavia
Cathedral of St. John Bosco
|Ecclesiastical province||Bahía Blanca|
|Area||234,000 km2 (90,000 sq mi)|
|(as of 2006)
|Established||11 February 1957 (60 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of St John Bosco in Comodoro Rivadavia|
|Patron saint||St John Bosco|
|Bishop||Joaquin Gimeno Lahoz|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Guillermo José Garlatti|
|Emeritus Bishops||Pedro Luis Ronchino, S.D.B.|
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Comodoro is located in the city of Comodoro, in the Patagonian province of Chubut in southern Argentina.
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Comodoro Rivadavia encompasses 234,000 km² (90,382 Square Miles) of central Patagonia covering the Province of Chubut. The Diocese was founded in 1957 from part of the Diocese of Viedma. In 1961, its southern half became the separate Diocese of Río Gallegos. In 2009, part of the diocese became the Territorial Prelature of Esquel. It is a suffragan see to the Archdiocese of Bahía Blanca.
The Cathedral is located in the city of Comodoro Rivadavia. It is dedicated to San Juan Bosco, the only cathedral in the world dedicated to the founder of the Salesian Order. It was inaugurated in 1979, although the crypt had been dedicated in 1949.
- Carlos Mariano Pérez Eslava S.D.B.(13 March 1957 - 26 December 1963, appointed Archbishop of Salta)
- Eugenio Santiago Peyrou S.D.B. (24 June 1964 - 19 February 1974)
- Argimiro Daniel Moure Piñeiro S.D.B. (5 April 1975 - 8 September 1992)
- Pedro Luis Ronchino S.D.B. (30 January 1993 - 19 February 2005)
- Virginio Domingo Bressanelli S.C.I. (19 February 2005 - 10 February 2010); appointed Coadjutor Bishop of the Diocese of Neuquen
- Joaquin Gimeno Lahoz (15 July 2010 – present); formerly Vicar General of the diocese