Discoverer Enterprise in the foreground on May 26, 2010, directly over the blowout preventer during the top kill procedure in the Deepwater Horizon disaster.
|Owner:||Triton Asset Leasing GmbH|
|Operator:||Transocean Offshore Deepwater Drilling Inc.|
|Port of registry:||Marshall Islands, Majuro|
|Builder:||Astilleros y Talleres del Noroeste (ASTANO), Ferrol, Spain|
|Laid down:||14 March 1997|
|Launched:||1 August 1998|
|Type:||DNV 1A1 Ship-shaped Drilling Unit Storage Unit HELDK CRANE E0 DYNPOS-AUTR|
|Tonnage:||69,500 DWT; 63,190 GRT|
|Length:||254.4 m (835 ft)|
|Beam:||38.05 m (124.8 ft)|
|Draught:||13 m (43 ft)|
Discoverer Enterprise is a fifth generation deepwater double hulled dynamically positioned drillship (ASTANO FPSO design) owned and operated by Transocean Offshore Deepwater Drilling Inc., capable of operating in moderate environments and water depths up to 3,049 m (10,000 ft) using an 18.75 in (47.6 cm), 15,000 psi blowout preventer (BOP), and a 21 in (53 cm) outside diameter (OD) marine riser. From 1998 to 2005 the vessel was Panama-flagged and currently flies the flag of convenience of the Marshall Islands.
Discoverer Enterprise has two sister ships, Discoverer Spirit completed in 1999, and Discoverer Deep Seas completed in 2000.
The ship was the first to offer a dual drilling derrick capability. The dual derricks allowed simultaneous operations to be performed, and according to Transocean increased efficiency by 40 percent.
Deepwater Horizon spill response
The ship operates in the Gulf of Mexico under contract to BP. The drilling vessel has equipment that allow it to process hydrocarbons, and is capable of handling up to 15,000 barrels per day (2,400 m3/d). On June 3, 2010, several weeks after the explosion of Deepwater Horizon, Discoverer Enterprise was used to collect oil and gas from the damaged subsea wellhead by lowering a cap connected via a drilling riser over the release, and collecting oil and gas.
- "Discoverer Enterprise (19643)". DNV GL Vessel Register. Det Norske Veritas. Retrieved 4 June 2010.
- "Discoverer Enterprise". Transocean. 2010. Retrieved 7 June 2010.
- Transocean Dual Rig Promotion Video (video). Transocean. Retrieved 7 June 2010.
- "Transocean Offshore Inc. Drillship Discoverer Enterprise Begins Five-Year Contract With BP Amoco.". PR Newswire. 13 December 1999. Retrieved 7 June 2010.
- Laura Meckler; Jonathan Weisman (8 June 2010). "Obama to Reopen Oil Drilling". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 8 June 2010.
- "Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill in the Gulf of Mexico". USA.gov. 7 June 2010. Retrieved 8 June 2010.