Disney Second Screen
|Original author(s)||Walt Disney Studios
|Operating system||iOS, Web browser|
Disney Second Screen is an interactive onscreen film feature accessible via a computer or iPad app download that provides additional content to a user as he or she views a film released by the Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment. The movie links with the viewer's device through an audio cue, a manual sync, or with a visual sync indicator. As the film plays on a viewer's television, interactive elements such as trivia, photo galleries, and animated flipbooks appear on the iPad or computer screen. Disney Second Screen is currently available to use on an iPad or computer with Flash.
Disney Second Screen was released by Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment in the Bambi Diamond Edition Blu-ray on March 1, 2011. The feature is included or planned to be included with the following home media releases:
- Bambi Diamond Edition Blu-ray on March 1, 2011.
- Tron: Legacy Blu-ray and DVD - April 5, 2011
- The Lion King Diamond Edition Blu-ray - October 4, 2011
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Blu-ray - October 18, 2011
- Real Steel Blu-ray - January 24, 2012 Branded as Real Steel Second Screen.
- Lady and the Tramp Diamond Edition Blu-ray on February 7, 2012.
- John Carter Blu-ray - June 5, 2012.
- The Avengers Blu-ray - September 25, 2012. Branded as Marvel Second Screen.
- Oz the Great and Powerful Blu-ray - June 11, 2013.
- Iron Man 3 Blu-ray - September 24, 2013. Branded as Marvel Second Screen.
- The Little Mermaid Diamond Edition Blu-ray - October 1, 2013
Special features for the Bambi Diamond Edition release include a Thumper flipbook, games, art galleries, videos, and trivia. The Tron: Legacy DVD and Blu-ray includes an interactive reel of images and a 3-D environment that can be explored using the touchscreen or the mouse. Similarly, the application on The Lion King Diamond Edition allows you to look at storyboards, concept art, and interactive games while the film plays. For the release of Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Disney Second Screen allows you to look at concept art, time-lapse photography, and makeup tests. The Real Steel Second Screen includes stories and opinions from the filmmaker that expand the story. On the Lady and the Tramp Diamond Edition release, the Second Screen application includes storyboards, activities, and behind-the-scenes features. For Iron Man 3, the second screen app features the voice of actor Paul Bettany as JARVIS, who recorded more than 20 hours of original audio content specifically for the app.
- Snider, Mike (24 February 2011). "Second Screen creates a 'Bambi' for multitaskers". USA Today. Retrieved 25 February 2011.
- Lawler, Richard (11 February 2011). "Tron: Legacy Blu-ray gets a release date, supports Disney's Second Screen iPad app". Engadget. Retrieved 29 March 2011.
- Burke, Bill (27 February 2010). "Second Screen is first-rate for 'Bambi' lovers". Boston Herald. Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- "Disney to Bow a New iPad and PC App with the Bambi Diamond Edition (Blu-ray)". BD-Live News. 10 December 2010. Retrieved 10 January 2011.
- "'Bambi (Two-Disc Diamond Edition)' Blu-ray Fully Detailed". High Def Digest. 10 December 2010. Retrieved 20 December 2010.
- Stein, Scott. "Hands-on with Second Screen: Bonus Blu-ray features on your iPad". CNET. Retrieved 14 April 2011.
- Boss, Nate (23 September 2011). "The Lion King - 3D". High-Def Digest. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides on Blu-ray & DVD Oct. 18". Coming Soon. 13 July 2011. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- "Real Steel Blu-ray Release Date, Details and Cover Art". The HD Room. 2 December 2011. Retrieved 2 December 2011.
- "Disney's Lady and the Tramp Diamond Editions Available on February 7. Cinderella for Fall 2012". Blu-ray.com. 11 November 2011. Retrieved 10 February 2012.
- Wharton, David. "John Carter Conquers The Red Planet on Blu-Ray This June". Cinema Blend. Retrieved 3 May 2012.
- Fischer, Russ. "'The Avengers' Will Be on Blu-ray September 25, With New Short and Copious Extra Footage". /Film. Retrieved 19 May 2012.
- Chitwood, Adam. "THE AVENGERS Blu-ray/DVD Hits Stores September 25; Includes Commentary, Deleted Scenes, Alternate Ending and More". Collider. Retrieved 19 May 2012.
- "Oz The Great and Powerful Comes to Home Video June 11". ComingSoon.net. 1 May 2013. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- Brevet, Brad (4 October 2011). "Blu-ray Review: The Lion King (Diamond Edition)". Rope of Silicon. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- Daniels, Hunter (23 October 2011). "Disney's Second Screen Technology Takes Special Features off the Blu-ray". Collider. Retrieved 8 November 2011.
- Hubschman, Daniel (25 January 2012). "Real Steel". Hollywood.com. Retrieved 10 February 2012.
- Palmer, Michael (2 February 2012). "Lady and the Tramp: Diamond Edition". High-Def Digest. Retrieved 10 February 2012.
- "Marvel Studios Previews Their Iron Man 3-Inspired JARVIS App". Superhero Hype. 6 September 2013. Retrieved 6 September 2013.