|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014)|
Dikshit or Dikshitar (//) (Hindi: दीक्षित), also spelled as Dixit, is a Hindu family name. The word is an adjective form of the Sanskrit word diksha, meaning provider of knowledge. Dikshit in Sanskrit derives itself as a person involved in scientific studies, and literally translates as "one who has received initiation or one who is initiated". The surname is usually associated with people from the High class Brahmin community among Hindus in India. People with this surname have their roots in the Indian states of Rajasthan, Kashmir, Punjab,Haryana , Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Himachal Pradesh,Bihar and some parts of Orissa and South India.
The Dikshit surname suggests that somebody in the family lineage, perhaps several generations ago, must have had some form of formal initiation into some religious tradition or studious body of knowledge. Historically, Dixits have been usually associated with professions related to knowledge, teachers and scholars.
- Pt.Gopinath Dixit, last Home Minister of U.P.
- Avinash Dixit, Indian-American economist originally of Indian nationality
- Madhuri Dixit, Indian Bollywood actress
- Sandeep Dikshit, an INC member of Lok Sabha from East Delhi
- Sheila Dikshit, former Chief Minister of Delhi
- Uma Shankar Dikshit, Indian politician
- Rajiv Dixit, Indian social activist
- Jyotindra Nath Dixit Former National Security Advisor of India
- Muthuswami Dikshitar one of the Carnatic Music Trinity.
|This page or section lists people with the surname Dikshit. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|