Do I Sound Gay?
|Do I Sound Gay?|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||David Thorpe|
|Music by||John Turner|
|Distributed by||Sundance Selects|
Do I Sound Gay? is a 2014 American documentary film by David Thorpe, which explores the existence and accuracy of stereotypes about the speech patterns of gay men, and the ways in which one's degree of conformity to the stereotype can contribute to internalized homophobia. Other figures participating in the film include Dan Savage, George Takei, David Sedaris, Tim Gunn, and Margaret Cho, as well as University of Toronto linguist Ron Smyth.
David Thorpe becomes concerned that his gay-sounding voice is limiting his opportunities in life. He visits two speech therapists to evaluate his condition and help him gain control of his speaking voice. Eventually he realized that he intentionally changed his voice at about age 17 when he came out and wanted others to know he was gay.
- David Thorpe
- Dan Savage
- George Takei
- David Sedaris
- Margaret Cho
- Tim Gunn
- Don Lemon
- Jeff Hiller
- Michael Airington
- Ron Smyth
- Robert Corff
- Miguel Gutierrez
Do I Sound Gay? opened theatrically in one venue on July 10, 2015, and earned $10,461 in its first weekend. At the end of its run, six weeks later on August 20, the film had expanded to 18 theaters and grossed $108,620 domestically.
The film received positive reviews from critics. Review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reports that 82% of 38 reviews were positive, with an average rating of 6.7/10. The site's consensus states: "Do I Sound Gay? proves to be a light, affable, entertaining look at a largely unexplored issue." On Metacritic, the film has a 65 out of 100 rating, based on 16 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- "DO I SOUND GAY? (15)". British Board of Film Classification. October 8, 2015. Retrieved October 29, 2015.
- "Do I Sound Gay? (2015)". Box Office Mojo. Internet Movie Database. August 21, 2015. Retrieved October 29, 2015.
- "Brooklyn director asks ‘Do I Sound Gay?’ in new documentary". Los Angeles Daily News, May 17, 2014.
- "'Do I Sound Gay?': Toronto Review". The Hollywood Reporter, September 8, 2014.
- "Liam Lacey’s TIFF diary: A guide to this year’s gay-themed films". The Globe and Mail, September 4, 2014.
- "'Do I Sound Gay?' Documentary Engaged In Kickstarter". Huffington Post, April 30, 2014.
- "Do I Sound Gay? (2015)". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved October 21, 2015.
- "Do I Sound Gay? Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved October 29, 2015.
- "‘The Imitation Game’ Wins Toronto Audience Award". The Wrap, September 14, 2014.