This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: rename to Deonjang girl and rewrite article. Syntax such as spacing issues (October 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Revised Romanization||Doenjang Girl, Doenjang Woman|
|McCune–Reischauer||Toenjang Girl, Toenjang Woman|
Doenjang girl or Doenjang woman (hangul:된장녀) is a satirical expression used in South Korea "for their propensity to scrimp on essentials so they can over-spend on conspicuous luxuries". These girls and young women are addicted to luxury and vanity. The Hangul spelling is Doenjang Nyeo (된장녀).
Doenjang (hangul:된장; hanja:된醬) is Korean fermented soybean paste. The idea behind the phrase is that such a girl will eat a cheap meal (doenjang jjigae is one of the cheapest meals in Korea) in order to buy an expensive latte at Starbucks (Starbucks drinks in South Korea are among the most expensive in the world).[tone] The expression became popular on the Internet in South Korea in the early 2000s. Cartoons satirising Doenjang Girls became famous on the internet from 2005.
- Max Fisher (August 23, 2012). "Gangnam Style, Dissected: The Subversive Message Within South Korea's Music Video Sensation". The Atlantic. Retrieved September 17, 2012.
- 실사로 보는… '이것이 된장녀의 하루!' The Hanguk 2007/02/13
- Doenjang (in Korean)
- '된장녀' 사회학 Archived 2012-07-16 at Archive.is
- 스타벅스와 '된장녀' Archived January 2, 2014, at the Wayback Machine. 서울신문
- 여성시대를 거꾸로 예언한 두 화가전 Archived January 2, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.
- 獨 dpa통신 ‘한국 된장녀’ 소개 눈길 (in Korean)
- Book Explores Fashion Districts and Women (in English)
- ‘Sex and the City’ craze crosses into Seoul businesses (in English)
- 독일 dpa통신 '한국 된장녀' 소개 눈길 한국일보 2006/09/07 (in Korean)
- [위크엔드 카페]‘된장녀’ 비난 말라 동아일보 2008-09-05 (in Korean)
- ‘된장녀’와 ‘절약남’은 찰떡궁합
- 카드업계에 부는 '된장녀 카드' 바람
- 명품에 빠진 ‘된장녀 열풍’의 주역은 ‘섹스 앤 더 시티’
- 된장녀, 뉴요커, 브랜드에 관한 진실(1)
- Coffee, Cars, and Corporations - Bridging Culture Worldwide
|This satire-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This South Korea-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|