|7th President of the African Development Bank|
1 September 2005 – 1 September 2015
|Preceded by||Omar Kabbaj|
|Succeeded by||Akinwumi Adesina|
|Rwandan Minister of Finance and Economic Planning|
5 October 1951 |
|Alma mater||University of Dar es Salaam (BA)
University of East Anglia (MPhil)
University of Glasgow (PhD)
Early life and career
Kaberuka was born in Byumba, Rwanda. He studied at the University of Dar es Salaam as an undergraduate and obtained his MPhil in Development Studies from the University of East Anglia in 1979. He received his PhD in economics from the University of Glasgow.
He worked in banking and international trade for over a decade. In October 1997 he was appointed Minister of Finance and Economic Planning in Rwanda. Kaberuka served in that position for eight years, and is credited with helping to stabilize the Rwandan economy from the effects of the 1994 genocide. In July 2005, Kaberuka was elected president of the African Development Bank (AfDB). He took office in September 2005.
Kaberuka led an institution whose financial standing has been restored from the near collapse of 1995, but whose operational credibility remains a work-in-progress.
A working group convened by the Center for Global Development, an independent Washington think tank, released a report in September 2006 that offered six recommendations for Kaberuka and the bank's board of directors on broad principles to guide the bank's renewal. The report contains six recommendations for management and shareholders as they address the urgent task of reforming Africa’s development bank. Prominent among the recommendations is a strong focus on infrastructure.
In November 2015, the Rockefeller Foundation appointed Dr. Donald Kaberuka to its board of trustees. In December 2015, he was appointed Senior Advisor to a consortium, "TPG/Satya", jointly owned by two private equity firms: the US-based TPG and the London-based Satya Capital, affiliated with Sudanese billionaire Mo Ibrahim.
Find more about
at Wikipedia's sister projects
|Media from Commons|
- Xiaodan, Du (16 May 2007). "Premier: China to continue assistance for African countries". Xinhuanet. Retrieved 11 April 2009.
- Dogbevi, Emmanuel K. (31 August 2015). "Kaberuka walks out of AfDB today, after 10 years". Ghana Business News. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "Mr. Donald Kaberuka – Who's Who Profile". Africa Confidential. Retrieved 11 April 2009.
- "Leader Profile: Donald Kaberuka, President of the AfDB". Devex. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- AfDB, . (22 December 2005). "President Kaberuka Meets President Ben Ali". African Development Bank (AfDB). Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- AfDB, . (28 August 2015). "Donald Kaberuka, AfDB President 2005-2015 - A Passionate Advocate for Infrastructure and Development Soldiering". African Development Bank (AfDB) via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "Building Africa's Development Bank: Six Recommendations for the AfDB and its Shareholders" (PDF). Center for Global Development. August 2006. Retrieved 11 April 2009.
- Omusolo, Moses (3 November 2015). "Kaberuka Appointed to Rockefeller Board". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 12 December 2015.
- Herbling, David (10 December 2015). "Kaberuka joins Mo Ibrahim's giant PE fund as senior adviser". Business Daily Africa. Narobi. Retrieved 12 December 2015.