|Born||January 3, 1957|
|Alma mater||University of Oregon|
|Spouse(s)||Rebecca Merrill (d. 2018)|
|Natural theology, Blaise Pascal, ethics, philosophy of religion|
Douglas R. Groothuis (// GROH-tyce; born January 3, 1957) is Professor of Philosophy at Denver Seminary. Groothuis was a campus pastor for twelve years prior to obtaining a position as an associate professor of philosophy of religion and ethics at Denver Seminary in 1993. He was educated at the University of Wisconsin–Madison and the University of Oregon. He was married to Rebecca Merrill Groothuis until her death on July 6, 2018.
During the late 1980s Groothuis emerged as a younger voice in evangelicalism with two books that described and analyzed New Age spirituality: Unmasking the New Age and Confronting the New Age. In subsequent books he pursued specific topics in New Age spirituality such as claims that Jesus spent his adolescent years studying among Hindu and Buddhist teachers in India and Tibet in Revealing the New Age Jesus. The phenomena of near-death experiences and the claims of Betty Eadie about the afterlife were the subject of his analysis in Deceived by the Light.
In the 1990s, Groothuis began to write about the cultural shifts associated with postmodern philosophy in his book Truth Decay, as well as to formulate responses to those shifts via Christian apologetics. He was also interested in human behavior and belief associated with the use of the Internet, and wrote of his theological concerns in The Soul in Cyberspace. His interests in philosophy have also led him to write on topics like Immanuel Kant's epistemology, the rationality of theism, and book-length treatments of the philosophical ideas and methods of Blaise Pascal and Jesus. In 2011, Groothuis published a comprehensive textbook on Christian apologetics.
In his teaching career at Denver Seminary, he has taught graduate courses in Christian Apologetics, Problems in Apologetics, Issues in Philosophy of Religion, Christian Ethics and Modern Culture, and Religious Pluralism, among many others. He is a member of the Society of Christian Philosophers and the Evangelical Philosophical Society, has published twelve books and contributed to many others, and has written numerous articles, book reviews, and editorials. Articles have appeared in periodicals such as Christianity Today, the Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, Philosophia Christi, and Moody Monthly.
Areas of specialization
This biographical section is written like a résumé. (September 2018)
Groothuis' areas of specialization include:
- Ethics and Contemporary Culture
- History of Modern Philosophy
- Blaise Pascal
- Philosophy of Religion
He is also knowledgeable in the areas of the philosophy of technology, epistemology, contemporary religious movements, and world religions. He is a staunch adherent to Biblical Christianity.
His website has articles under the following subjects and categories: Apologetics, Ethics, Philosophy, Poetry & Music, Social Commentary, Interviews, Book Reviews, Bibliographies and Outlines, and Articles on Other Websites.
Groothuis counts the following as influential authors:
- Francis Schaeffer
- Carl F. H. Henry
- Søren Kierkegaard
- Os Guinness
- James W. Sire
- Rousas John Rushdoony
- Bernard Ramm
- Blaise Pascal
- John Stott
- John Calvin
- C.S. Lewis
- G.K. Chesterton
- Arthur F. Holmes
- Christianity That Counts (Grand Rapids: Baker, 1994). ISBN 0-8010-3868-5
- Confronting the New Age (Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1988). ISBN 0-8308-1223-7
- Deceived by the Light (Eugene: Harvest House, 1995). ISBN 1-56507-301-0
- On Jesus (South Melbourne and Belmont: Thomson/Wadsworth, 2003). ISBN 0-534-58394-6
- On Pascal (South Melbourne and Belmont: Thomson/Wadsworth, 2003). ISBN 0-534-58391-1
- Revealing the New Age Jesus (Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1990). ISBN 0-8308-1298-9
- The Soul in Cyberspace (Grand Rapids: Baker, 1997). ISBN 0-8010-5760-4
- Truth Decay (Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2000). ISBN 0-8308-2228-3
- Unmasking the New Age (Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1986). ISBN 0-87784-568-9
- In Defense of Natural Theology: A Post-Humean Assessment, co-edited with James F. Sennett (Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2005). ISBN 978-0-8308-2767-1
- Jesus in an Age of Controversy (Wipf & Stock, 2002). ISBN 1-57910-869-5
- Christian Apologetics: A Comprehensive Case for Biblical Faith (InterVarsity Press, 2011). ISBN 978-0-8308-3935-3
- Philosophy in Seven Sentences: A Small Introduction to a Vast Topic (InterVarsity Press, 2016). ISBN 978-0-8308-4093-9
- Walking Through Twilight: A Wife's Illness—A Philosopher's Lament (InterVarsity Press, 2017). ISBN 978-0-8308-4518-7
- "Denver Seminary Faculty Page". Denver Seminary Page. Denver Seminary. Archived from the original on December 22, 2012. Retrieved January 14, 2013.
- "Obituary for Rebecca Merrill Groothuis at Horan & McConaty". Retrieved August 9, 2018.