|Origin||Cape Breton, Nova Scotia|
|Genres||Folk, blues, rock|
|Associated acts||David Torn, Bill Frisell|
Douglas September, (born September 25, 1972, in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia) is a Canadian musician. He is known for his poetic lyrics, as well as his innovative musical style that blends folk and blues with a caustic modern commentary. As a composer, musician, producer and engineer, September's passion for arranging music from the ordinary every day into a unique auditory experience has evolved into a singular style. His music has been likened to Bob Dylan, Tim Buckley, and Tom Waits.
September has collaborated with many talented musicians, such as Michael Shrieve (1998 release, Producer-Ten Bulls; Gold Circle/Samson Music), Bill Frisell (1998 release, Lead Guitar-Ten Bulls; Gold Circle/Samson Music), David Torn (2001 release, Producer-Oil Tan Bow; Lupins), Robby Aceto (2001 release, Oil Tan Bow; Lupins and 1999 release, IO; Gold Circle/Samson Music), Rich DePaolo; (1999 release, IO;Gold Circle/Samson Music), Wayne Horvitz (1998 release, Ten Bulls; Gold Circle/Samson Music), David Bearwald and Steve Lindsey (The Runner, 2000).
He has four albums as a solo performer with two where he is involved in co-production, and composing music for The Runner and was signed previously with what is now known as Gold Circle Films for albums Ten Bulls and Io. He has also been producer/engineer for other artists such as Halifax songwriter Matthew Grimson, guitarist Tom Fidgen, B3 Hammond organist John T. Davis, and scored a soundtrack for the short film Malcontents.
Originally from Cape Breton Island, off the east coast of Canada, Douglas currently lives in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, with his wife and daughter.
- (1996) Crows; Lupins
Produced by Vaughn Passmore
Recorded at Invisible Sound, Toronto, ON
- (1998) Ten Bulls; Gold Circle/Samson Music
Produced by Michael Shrieve
Musicians: Douglas September, Bill Frisell (Guitar), Wayne Horvitz (Keyboards), Michael Rhodes (Bass), Michael Shrieve (Drums & Percussion), Loops & Textures (David Torn)
- (1999) IO; Gold Circle/Samson Music;
Produced by Douglas September, Robby Aceto, Rich DePaolo, Bill King, et al.
Musicians: Douglas September, Robby Aceto (Guitars, Ambient loops, Harmonium, Vibes, Alto Mandolin, Accordion), Bill King (Drums), Rich DePaolo (Bass), et al.
- (2001) Oil Tan Bow; Lupins;
Produced By: SPLaTTeRCell (David Torn) and Robby Aceto with additional production by Douglas September.
Musicians: Douglas September, Robby Aceto (Guitars, Loops, Accordion), SPLaTTeRCell (David Torn) (Additional Freq Programming & Rhythm Arrangements).
- (2009) Sundays in Radio
Soundtracks and short film
- (1999) The Runner, directed by Ron Moler, compositions for scene and closing credits (The Search, The Light)
- (2004) Malcontents, directed by Maurey Loeffler, scoring and composition for short film.
- (2006–2008) Douglas September Videos on YouTube
- (2008) Sundays in Television, Podcast
- "Douglas September Website - Press Reviews". douglaseptember.com. Archived from the original on 2011-06-19. Retrieved 2011-04-08.
- "Samson Records - Press Release - 8". Chrisjensen.com. Retrieved 2011-04-04.
- "Bob Dylan - Uncut January 2005 CDs". Uncut.co.uk. Archived from the original on 2011-05-19. Retrieved 2011-04-04.