|Governor of Bayelsa State|
|Assumed office |
14 February 2020
|Preceded by||Seriake Dickson|
|Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria from Bayelsa Central Senatorial District|
12 June 2019 – 11 February 2020
|Preceded by||Emmanuel Paulker|
|Born||4 June 1959|
|Political party||People's Democratic Party|
Douye Diri (born 4 June 1959) is a Nigerian politician and Governor of Bayelsa State. He was the senator representing Bayelsa Central senatorial district of Bayelsa state at the Nigerian 9th National Assembly.
Douye Diri began his early education at Okoro Primary School, Sampou and concluded it at Rev. Proctor Memorial Primary School, Kaiama in 1977, where he obtained his First School Leaving Certificate. He later attended Government Secondary School, Odi in Bayelsa. Douye studied at the College of Education, Port-Harcourt, Rivers State where he obtained a National Certificate in Education (NCE) in 1985. He also attended the University of Port-Harcourt obtaining a Bachelors of Education (B.Ed) Degree in Political Science in 1990.
Governor of Bayelsa
On 13 February 2020, the Supreme Court of Nigeria invalidated the results of the 2019 Bayelsa State gubernatorial elections on grounds that the running mate of the actual winner of the election, David Lyon, submitted fake certificate to the Independent National Electoral Commission. The court ordered Diri to be issued a certificate of return, which would make him governor-elect.
On 14 February 2020, he was sworn-in as the governor of Bayelsa State.
On 17 August 2020, a tribunal at Abuja, Nigeria, ordered Diri sacked as the state governor. However, on 2 October 2020, a court of appeal sitting in Abuja overruled the tribunal court and confirmed him as Governor.
- "Breaking: Douye Diri sworn-in as Governor of Bayelsa". P.M. News. 14 February 2020. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- Iroanusi, QueenEsther (2019-03-11). "INEC releases list of elected senators, APC-62, PDP-37". Retrieved 2019-08-07.
- Bello, Precious (2019-07-11). "Bayelsa guber: Senator Diri joins race". Daily Post Nigeria. Retrieved 2019-08-07.
- "Douye Diri - Bayelsa's Miracle Governor At 61 [opinion]". MarketWatch. Retrieved 2020-08-17.
- "Supreme Court Sacks Lyon As Bayelsa Governor-Elect, Hours Before Inauguration". Channels Television. Retrieved 2020-02-13.
- Tsa, Godwin (14 November 2019). "Breaking News: Supreme Court sacks Lyon, Bayelsa gov-elect, for presenting running mate with fake qualification". Sun News NG. Retrieved 13 February 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Wahab, Bayo (14 February 2020). "Douye Diri sworn in as Bayelsa Governor". Pulse NG. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- "Tribunal sack Govnor Diri, order fresh election just days afta im bin jubilate say e win case for di same court". BBC News Pidgin. 17 August 2020. Retrieved 2020-08-17.
- "Appeal court confam Douye Diri election as Bayelsa Govnor". BBC News Pidgin. Retrieved 2020-10-06.
- "Court of Appeal affirms Bayelsa Gov Douye Diri's election". Pulse Nigeria. 2 October 2020. Retrieved 2020-10-06.