|Location||1131 North Dupont Highway|
|Owned by||Gaming and Leisure Properties|
|Operated by||Bally's Corporation|
|Date opened||1969 (racetrack)|
|Race type||Harness racing|
Bally's Dover Casino Resort, formerly Dover Downs, is a hotel, casino, and racetrack complex in Dover, Delaware. It has a .625-mile (1.006 km) harness horse racing track, which is surrounded by Dover Motor Speedway, a 1-mile (1.6 km) concrete track used for NASCAR motor racing events. The complex is owned by Gaming and Leisure Properties and operated by Bally's Corporation, excluding the motor racing circuit, which is owned by Speedway Motorsports.
Primary features of Bally's Dover include a 500-room hotel, dining options, over 2,700 slot machines, 40 table games, and the Rollins Center, an 18,000-square-foot (1,700 m2) multipurpose ballroom which features entertainment as well as hosting business conferences, conventions and banquets. Steelman Partners were the original architects and interior designers when it was constructed in 1995.
The horse track and the speedway opened together in 1969.
The track opened its casino, Dover Downs Slots, on December 29, 1995, following the enactment the previous year of a law allowing slot machines at Delaware's horse tracks. The casino was managed by Caesars World.
In 2002, Dover Downs Entertainment, the complex's parent company, spun off the horse track and casino as an independent company, Dover Downs Gaming & Entertainment. The former parent company changed its name to Dover Motorsports.
Dover Downs assumed management of its own casino in 2004, when the management agreement with Caesars expired.
A hotel expansion in autumn 2007 added 268 additional rooms, including 52 suites and 11 spa suites, for a total of 500 hotel rooms. This made Dover Downs the largest hotel in Delaware. Toppers Spa/Salon opened in the hotel on December 29, 2007.
A $56-million casino expansion was completed in 2008, adding 500 slot machines, a porte-cochere and atrium lobby, and an upscale shopping area called the Colonnade.
Dover Downs began a venture into the online gambling realm in late 2013.
In 2019, Dover Downs Gaming & Entertainment completed a reverse merger with Twin River Worldwide Holdings (later Bally's Corporation), a Rhode Island-based company with several casino and racetrack properties. Dover Downs shareholders were left with a 7 percent stake in the combined company.
The property was renamed as Bally's Dover in November 2021, as part of Twin River's rebranding to Bally's Corporation.
The hotel at Bally's offers upscale accommodations with rooms facing both the racetrack and the city. Amenities at the hotel include a full-service spa, fitness room, indoor swimming pool, room service, and concierge. Dover Downs offers space for meetings, banquets, conferences, and conventions, including over 40,000 sq ft (3,700 m2) of function space, the 18,000 sq ft (1,700 m2) Rollins Center ballroom, several meeting rooms, and three hospitality suites offering views of the racetrack.
The casino at Bally's offers over 2,300 slot machines, 41 gaming tables, and an 18-table poker room. Table games in the casino include craps, roulette, and card games such as blackjack, Spanish 21, baccarat, three card poker, pai gow poker, high card flush, 21+3, heads up poker, and Mississippi stud.
Bally's Dover offers live harness racing from November to mid-April and simulcasts of harness and thoroughbred racing year-round. The Race & Sports Book offers sports betting on live and simulcast horse racing along with single-game and parlay betting on professional and college sports (excluding Delaware college teams) including auto racing, baseball, basketball, boxing/MMA, football, golf, hockey, and soccer.
Dining, entertainment, and shopping
Bally's offers various entertainment options including entertainers, comedians, concerts, and musical acts. Entertainers and musicians that have performed at the venue include Tracy Lawrence, Boyz II Men, Howie Mandel, Creedence Clearwater Revisited, and the Glenn Miller Orchestra.
Dining options at Bally's include upscale restaurants, casual establishments, a coffee shop, and a buffet. Bally's is also home to a variety of bars and nightclubs. Upscale shopping is offered at The Colonnade.
- "Paul Steelman Biography and Projects". unlv.edu. Retrieved March 2, 2015.
- "History". Dover Downs Hotel & Casino. Retrieved April 2, 2019.
- Heather Harlan (December 30, 1995). "We're happy with the turnout. It feels like we've given birth". Delaware State News – via NewsBank.
- Jackie Spinner (December 30, 1995). "Delaware tracks bet on casinos for a boost". The Washington Post. Retrieved November 29, 2021.
- "Dover Motorsports completes spinoff of its gaming business". Autoweek. March 31, 2002. Retrieved April 2, 2019.
- Form 10-K: Annual Report (Report). Dover Downs Gaming & Entertainment. March 10, 2005. p. 18 – via EDGAR.
- "Book Dover Downs Hotel & Casino, Dover, Delaware - Hotels.com". Hotels.com. Retrieved March 2, 2015.
- "Dover Hotel - Dover Downs Hotel and Casino". doverdowns.com. Retrieved March 2, 2015.
- "Putting on the glitz in Dover". Delaware Business Ledger. August 6, 2008 – via NewsBank.
- Sarika Jagtiani (June 29, 2010). "Table games open at Dover Downs Hotel & Casino". Dover Post – via NewsBank.
- "Dover Downs Hotel & Casino".
- Brad Allen (July 24, 2018). "Twin River acquires Dover Downs for sports betting and egaming expertise". eGaming Review. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- "Twin River completes Dover Downs acquisition and NYSE listing" (Press release). Twin River Worldwide Holdings. March 29, 2019 – via EDGAR.
- Brian Hallenbeck (July 23, 2018). "Twin River to merge with Delaware casino, trade publicly". The Day. New London, CT. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- "Bally's Corporation completes acquisition of Tropicana Evansville casino" (Press release). Bally's Corporation. June 4, 2021 – via EDGAR.
- Brandon Holveck (November 29, 2021). "Dover Downs converting to Bally's Dover Casino Resort as parent company continues to grow". Delaware News Journal. Retrieved November 29, 2021.
- "Hotel Introduction". Dover Downs. Retrieved October 5, 2017.
- "Event Planning". Dover Downs. Retrieved October 5, 2017.
- "Casino". Dover Downs. Retrieved October 5, 2017.
- "Table Games". Dover Downs. Retrieved October 5, 2017.
- "Horse Racing". Dover Downs. Retrieved October 5, 2017.
- "Race & Sports Book". Dover Downs. Retrieved October 5, 2017.
- "Sports Pick - How To Bet Guide". Delaware Lottery. Retrieved May 31, 2018.
- "Entertainment". Dover Downs. Retrieved October 5, 2017.
- "Restaurants". Dover Downs. Retrieved October 5, 2017.
- "Bars". Dover Downs. Retrieved October 5, 2017.
- "The Colonnade". Dover Downs. Retrieved October 5, 2017.