Down Colorful Hill
|Down Colorful Hill|
|Studio album by Red House Painters|
|Released||September 14, 1992|
|Red House Painters chronology|
As was done with the debuts of previous 4AD artists like Pixies, Lush, and His Name Is Alive, the album is made up of demos that were slightly remixed for general release. In Martin Aston's book Facing the Wrong Way: The Story of 4AD, Mark Kozelek expressed regret over the reverb- and echo-heavy mixing techniques he employed. The song "Waterkill", which dates from the same sessions but not included here, later appeared on the compilation Retrospective in un-remixed form, giving listeners an idea of the original demos' rawer sound.
A music video was produced for the song "24", directed by Mark Taylor.
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
Down Colorful Hill has generally been well received by critics.
AllMusic wrote "the group has already reached full maturity; these lengthy, ponderous songs are remarkably evocative portraits of a distinctly tortured psyche – Mark Kozelek forgoes the camouflage of metaphor to lay his soul on the line, and the honesty of his craft is both beautiful and disturbing". Stereogum wrote in a 2012 article that the album "sounds dated and immature; the work of a nascent artist who didn't trust his own voice, didn't know his way around a studio and wasn't entirely confident on the guitar. [...] But good lord, what an album."
All tracks written by Mark Kozelek.
|3.||"Down Colorful Hill"||10:51|
|4.||"Japanese to English"||4:42|
|5.||"Lord Kill the Pain"||6:03|
|United Kingdom||September 14, 1992||4AD||CD (first pressings came in a digipak sleeve)||CAD 2014 CD|
|July 6, 1998||CD (reissue)||GAD 2014 CD|
|United States||September 15, 1992||Warner Bros. Records||CD||9 45062-2|
|November 2, 1999||4AD||CD (reissue)||GAD 2014 CD|
- Ankeny, Jason. "Down Colorful Hill – Red House Painters". AllMusic. Retrieved December 5, 2014.
- Berger, Arion (November 27, 1992). "Down Colorful Hill". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved December 5, 2014.
- Stosuy, Brandon (May 6, 2015). "Red Hot Painters: Box Set". Pitchfork. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- Mason, Matt (September 2015). "Master Strokes". Q (350): 118–19.
- Brackett, Nathan; Hoard, Christian, eds. (2004). The New Rolling Stone Album Guide. Simon & Schuster. p. 682. ISBN 0-7432-0169-8.
- Nelson, Michael (June 12, 2012). "Mark Kozelek Albums from Worst to Best Red House Painters – Down Colorful Hill – Stereogum". Stereogum. Retrieved December 5, 2013.