Drawn from Bees
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Drawn from Bees|
|Genres||Art rock Progressive rock|
|Years active||2008 - present|
Drawn from Bees are an art rock band from Brisbane, Australia. The band is composed of Dan James (lead vocals, guitar), Stew Riddle (bass guitar, vocals), Raven Jones (lead guitar, keyboard, vocals) and Matt Wedmaier (drums, vocals). Drawn from Bees are signed to local Brisbane-based record label, Bonefinger Records distributed via MGM Distribution.
Forming in April 2008 out of the ashes of a ten-year stint as progressive rock band, Glasshouse, Drawn from Bees launched their first EP, The Boy and the Ocean less than four months later. Since this time, Drawn from Bees have carved out a niche as one of the most engaging new art rock bands emerging from Australia.
In March 2009, the band released their second record, a mini-album entitled And the Blind Shall Lead the Way, which has garnered widespread praise from the music press. The band has also been featured on Richard Kingsmill's flagship Triple J radio show, 2009, as well as having single 'Long Tooth Setting Sun' added to rotation. The band also won a Triple J Unearthed competition to play the Valley Fiesta.
In October 2009, Drawn from Bees released their third record, The Sky is Falling, an EP containing a series of vignettes revolving around a central theme of the sky falling down, touring throughout Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia. The band spent the remainder of 2009 in the studio, preparing their debut full length record.
In April 2010, the band were invited to showcase at Musexpo Los Angeles, followed by showcases at Music Matters, Hong Kong and Musexpo Europe. The debut LP, Fear Not the Footsteps of the Departed is due for release on 21 May via Bonefinger Records/MGM Distribution.
Drawn from Bees are part of the musical community that centres in Fortitude Valley, an inner-city suburb of Brisbane, Australia. Drawn from Bees have a strong presence within this musical context, playing regularly at iconic venues such as The Troubadour and Rics Cafe, as well as being labelled 'a band of note' at the 2009 Gold Coast V Festival.
The art rock sound that is purveyed by Drawn from Bees combines elements of contemporary art and literature with rock music, a movement that can be traced back to the 70's and 80's pioneers, including Pink Floyd, Roxy Music, Brian Eno and David Bowie. Modern art rock contemporaries include The Arcade Fire, and Radiohead.
- The Boy and the Ocean EP (2008 Bonefinger Records/MGM)
- And the Blind Shall Lead the Way mini-LP (2009 Bonefinger Records/MGM)
- The Sky is Falling EP (2009 Bonefinger Records/MGM)
- Run Away Single (2010 Bonefinger Records/MGM)
- Fear Not the Footsteps of the Departed LP (2010 Bonefinger Records/MGM)
- Cautionary Tales for the Lionhearted EP (2011)
- The May King And His Paper Crown LP (2012 Bonefinger Records/MGM)
- Rave Magazine interview 2009-03-08 Archived 7 August 2011 at the Wayback Machine., retrieved on 2009-04-18
- Cyclic Defrost review 2008-10-22, retrieved on 2009-04-18
- Scene Magazine review 2008-08-27
- Rave Magazine review 2008-09-02
- Rave Magazine review 2009-03-30 Archived 6 April 2009 at the Wayback Machine., retrieved on 2009-04-18
- Time Off Magazine review 2009-04-07 Archived 28 September 2011 at the Wayback Machine., retrieved on 2009-04-18
- Tsunami Magazine review 2009-04-07[permanent dead link], retrieved on 2009-04-18
- 2009 Playlist, retrieved on 2009-04-18
- Time Off Magazine review 2009-03-31 Archived 28 September 2011 at the Wayback Machine., retrieved on 2009-04-18
- Gibraltar Encyclopedia of Progressive Rock 2006-09-29, retrieved on 2009-04-18
- All Music article on art rock, retrieved on 2009-04-18
- Art rock Wikipedia article, retrieved on 2009-04-18
- Answers art rock definition, retrieved on 2009-04-18