Drywall anchor

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Expandable wall anchors with toggle arms

A drywall anchor, also known as a wall anchor, is an insert that, combined with the appropriate screw, can create a firm mount anywhere on a drywall panel or similar hollow wall.[1] A drywall anchor goes between the screw and the drywall, gripping the drywall much more effectively than a screw would.[2] Some have toggle arms, which either drop into place behind the wall or expand within the cavity. Others include wide threads that carve out grooves in the wall for traction. All drywall anchors are designed to create a firm mount point by distributing the applied load over an increased surface area.

Drywall anchors are used when creating a mount point that does not have a wall stud behind it.[2]

There are many types of drywall anchors. A few common ones include expandable metal anchors (molly bolts), WallClaw anchors, toggle bolts, and self-drilling drywall anchors.[3]

Expandable metal wall anchor
Toggle bolts
Self-drilling wall anchor

See also[edit]


  1. ^ Sloane, Steve. "The Purpose and Use of Drywall Anchors". SF Gate. Retrieved 2018-08-29.
  2. ^ a b Lloyd, Craig (2017-07-31). "How to Install Drywall Anchors to Hang Heavy Stuff on Your Walls". How-To Geek. Retrieved 2018-08-29.
  3. ^ Joseph, Truini (2013-10-21). "Hollow-Wall Anchors: How to Hang Something on the Wall Without a Stud". Popular Mechanics. Retrieved 2018-08-29.