This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (November 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Dr Duško Knežević, PhD|
|President of board of directors of University "Mediterranean"|
Assumed office |
30 May 2006
30 May 1959|
Titograd, FPR Yugoslavia
Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade (B.Sc.)|
Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade (M.Sc.)
Faculty of Law, University of Belgrade (Ph.D.)
|Occupation||Economist, businessman, activist|
Duško Knežević, President of Atlas Foundation
Duško Knežević (Montenegrin Cyrillic: Душко Кнежевић) is the founder and president of the board of directors of Atlas Group Corporation (AGC). AGC is the largest financial group in Montenegro consisting of dozens of companies with far-ranging business interest, including banks and financial companies in Serbia, Cyprus, Russia and Great Britain.
In addition to his business interests, he is the founder and president of the board of two business oriented universities, in Montenegro and in Serbia. In April 2010, Knežević became a member of Clinton Global Initiative, President Clinton's organization that is gathering private sector, non-governmental organizations, and other global leaders to effectively confront the world's most pressing problems.
Knežević founded the Atlas Foundation in 2010. The mission of the Foundation is to support the creation of new societal values and economic empowerment of citizens through enhancement of business environment and corporate social responsible practices. Improving regional cooperation is one of the key goals of the Atlas Foundation. Knežević organised the Inaugural Conference “Balkan Networking for Social Empowerment of South-Eastern Europe” that was held in Budva in May 2011, under the auspices of the Government of Montenegro and Atlas Foundation, and in partnership with Clinton Global Initiative. The main objective of this event was to address pressing challenges facing South-Eastern Europe through developing cross-border and new models of cross-sector cooperation.
Born 30 May 1959, Knežević completed elementary and high school in Titograd (now Podgorica). He obtained a bachelor's degree in Finance and Banking at the Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade, and a Master of Science in Banking and Finance, also at the Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade. After defending with merits his doctorate dissertation 'Legal and economic prerequisites of sustainability of pension insurance system' at the Faculty of Law, University of Belgrade, Duško Knežević was awarded a scientific degree Doctor of Legal and Economic Studies. He lectures in finance-related subjects at the UNION University.
Knežević is President of the Atlas Group (AGC), which he founded 25 years ago in Yugoslavia. The AGC has grown into an internationally acknowledged company, consisting of 30 companies including banks, finance, real estate, construction, tourism, education, health and media. Strong business relationships and partnerships with, among others, Abu Dhabi Capital Group owned by Royal family from UAE, Bursa Istanbul, Mace London, Piraeus Bank, EBRD, Century 21 Real Estate and Turner Real Estate USA, have been developed.
Major entities of AGC include:
- Atlasmont Bank Montenegro
- Montenegrin stock exchange
- Invest Bank Montenegro
- University Mediterranean
- Atlasmont Fund (investment fund company)
- Atlas Life (insurance company)
- Atlas Penzije (pension fund)
- FinInvest Montenegro (real estate and construction firm)
- RTV Atlas
- Meljine Health & Tourism Complex
- Atlas Foundation
- ACFX (Retail Forex Brokerage)
FinInvest Montenegro in collaboration with Capital Investments, a company owned by the royal family in Abu Dhabi, is completing a 180 million euro residential business complex investment in Podgorica. FinInvest Montenegro stands behind a major health-tourism project in Meljine, on Montenegro's Adriatic Coast. Knežević is the founder of Atlas Capital Forex
Knežević is the founder and president of the board of:
- University "Mediterranean" – the first private university in Montenegro
- Belgrade Banking Academy, the only institution of its kind in the region
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
As a young man, he played for the several basketball clubs. His fledgling basketball career was cut short by injury. He then moved from player to referee, advancing in this regard to a federal-level referee in the former Yugoslavia. In 1992, he became president of the well-known Red Star Waterpolo Club. Under his leadership, Red Star won the championship title in the former Yugoslav against its longtime rival Partizan. Four years later, as director of the Olympic Waterpolo Team of Yugoslavia, he led the team to the summer Olympic Games in Atlanta, Georgia (U.S.)
In 2003 he founded the first-league basketball club Atlas, which he directed and led to competition in the European Uleb Cup. He also served as a member of the Executive Board of the Basketball Union of Serbia and Montenegro (before Montenegro became an independent country). In 2004, he founded a new league called the Atlas Pils YUBA League, as part of an effort to revive Serbia's then struggling basketball legacy. In 2005 he was president of Board of EuroBasket 2005 that has successfully organized European Basketball Championship in Belgrade in 2005.
Paper works, articles and books
- Fernando Diz, Hasan Hanić, Duško Knezević: “On the Black-Scholes Model and why Scholes and Merton won the Nobel Prize”, work presented in the Symposium Financial Innovations, November 1997
- D. Knežević, “Selection of Strategic Partner for Atlas Bank”, work presented at the Round Table “Privatization of Banks in Serbia – four years later”, Belgrade, 17 May 2005, printed for conference proceedings, Belgrade Banking Academy and Institute of Economic Sciences, Belgrade, pp. 131–33
- D. Knežević, “Credit Insurance”, Belgrade Banking Academy Belgrade, 2007.
- D. Knežević, M. Jovović and I. Džaković, “Credit Insurance”, Sixth International Symposium “New Products in Insurance Market”, Association of Actuaries of Serbia and Faculty of Economics, Zlatibor 2008.
- S. Stefanović, D. Knežević, “Secondary Mortgage Markets and Instruments – Review of Experiences of European Union Countries,” conference proceedings from international science convention Banking Products and Services Market in Serbia, Belgrade Banking Academy, Belgrade, 2008
- D. Knežević, “Businesses in the region must cooperate with foreign investors”, World Finance Magazine, edition September–October 2010 
- Montenegro’s potential interests Gulf sheikh, B92.net, 17 June 2007.
- Clinton Global Initiative
- on YouTube
- on YouTube
- on YouTube
- Balkan Networking, Conference
- Belgrade Banking Academy, bba.edu.rs; accessed 27 April 2015.
- Knežević's article in World Finance Magazine, edition September-October 2010
- World Finance cover story, Dr Duško Knežević, president of Atlas Group, Atlas TV report
- Knežević interview, WorldFinance.tv
- on YouTube
- Knežević's interview on Montenegro economics and investments at Analitika informative portal from Montenegro, portalanalitika.me
- Knežević's interview on Montenegro Stock Exchange, SEEbiz.eu
- Knežević's interview on Montenegro Stock Exchange unification at SEEbiz
- on YouTube at RTS, June 2010 (video)
- on YouTube at RTS, June 2010 (video)
- Turner International negotiations with Atlas Group in Montenegro, Atlas TV news report, September 2010 (video)
- on YouTube, Budva, Montenegro, 22 May 2011 (video)