This article is an autobiography or has been extensively edited by the subject or by someone connected to the subject. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ransom performing live and in the studio
|Birth name||Dustin Ray Ransom|
December 5, 1986 |
|Genres||Rock, soul, funk, indie-rock, ambient, pop, Christian, jazz, country|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, producer, composer, arranger, film composer, music transcriber|
Dustin Ransom (born December 5, 1986) is a multi-instrumentalist, producer, vocalist, arranger, music transcriber, and film composer based in Nashville, Tennessee. As a session and live musician, he has performed with artists including Ryan Bingham, Jars of Clay, Matt Maher, Andy Davis, Andrew Belle, Ben Rector, Steve Moakler, Laura Story, Brandon Heath, and Brooke Waggoner. As an arranger and transcriber, he has worked with music companies including Vic Firth, and Mel Bay. He is the co-founder of the Nashville Film Composers, an independent music library designed for use in films and television. He is also the founder of the Nashville Drummers Project, an interview blog spotlighting professional drummers in the Nashville area.
Born in Evansville, Indiana, Ransom was raised in Boonville, Indiana. At age three, he began taking piano lessons, which he continued until his junior year of college. He also began playing drums from an early age, received his first drum set at age eight, then began taking lessons at age eleven until he graduated from college. At the age of eleven, he began teaching himself guitar and bass.
In 2005, he moved to Nashville, Tennessee to pursue a Bachelor of Music in Commercial Percussion, or drum set, at Belmont University. He studied drum set with Chester Thompson, Zoro, and Todd London, classical percussion with Dr. Chris Norton and Todd Kemp, and jazz piano with Bruce Dudley and Steve Willets. He graduated in 2009.
- The Ransoms – Begin at the End (2008): drums, electric guitar, piano, Wurlitzer
- Andrew Belle – The Ladder (2009): drums
- Andrew Combs – Tennessee Time (2010): piano, organ, Rhodes
- Nashville Film Composers – Nashville Film Composers (2010): producer, engineer, composer, vocals, drums, tambourine, shaker, glockenspiel, piano, Rhodes, organ, melodica, celeste, electric and upright bass, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, mandolin, synthesizers, handclaps, footstomps, arranging
- Chad Jarnagin – Chad Jarnagin (2011): Rhodes, organ, treated piano, percussion, background vocals
- "Dustin Ransom / Pro Music Academy | Nashville, TN". Promusicacademy.com. Retrieved 2012-02-12.
- "Vic Firth Presents: We Want the FUNK!". Vicfirth.com. Retrieved 2012-02-11.
- "Blog Archive " Drum Transcription: Nick Mason –"Any Colour You Like"". Percussion Sessions. Retrieved 2012-02-11.
- "Nashville Film Composers". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-02-12.
- "Nashville Drummers Project " Steve Goold". Stevegoold.wordpress.com. June 13, 2011. Retrieved 2012-02-12.
- "The Ransoms Bio". ChristianMusic.com. Retrieved 2012-02-12.
- "Dustin Ransom". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-02-11.
- "Hummingbird | Andrew Combs". Andrewcombs.bandcamp.com. May 1, 2010. Retrieved 2012-02-12.
- "Chad Jarnagin". TuneCore. Retrieved 2012-02-12.