E. Thurman Gaskill
|E. Thurman Gaskill|
|Member of the Iowa Senate
from the 6th district
January 13, 1997 – 2009
|Preceded by||Wayne Bennett|
|Succeeded by||Merlin Bartz (Republican)|
April 4, 1935 |
|Spouse(s)||Geraldine a/k/a Gerry|
|Parents||George and Mildred|
|Alma mater||Iowa State University|
|Website||Gaskill's erstwhile Senate website|
E. Thurman Gaskill (born April 4, 1935) was the Iowa State Senator from the 6th District and Assistant Majority Leader of the Iowa Senate. Mr. Gaskill is a grain farmer and a director of Meta Financial Group, Incorporated (NASDAQ: CASH), a bank holding company. He served in the Iowa Senate 1997–2007. He has also been a commissioner of both Iowa's Department of Economic Development and its Department of Natural Resources, president of Iowa Corn Growers Association, president of National Corn Growers Association, chairman of the United States Feed Grains Council, and held other agriculture positions.
In his last term Gaskill served on several committees in the Iowa Senate - the Agriculture committee; the Appropriations committee; the State Government committee; and the Natural Resources and Environment committee, where he was the ranking member. He was ranking member of the Agriculture and Natural Resources Appropriations Subcommittee.
- "E. Thurman Gaskill Profile - Forbes.com". Forbes magazine. Retrieved 2009-03-27.
Mr. Gaskill has owned and operated a grain farming operation located near Corwith, Iowa, since 1958. He has served as a commissioner with the Iowa Department of Economic Development and also as a commissioner with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources. Mr. Gaskill is the past president of Iowa Corn Growers Association, past chairman of the United States Feed Grains Council, and has served in numerous other agriculture positions. He is a member of the Iowa State Senate and represents District 6. He has served as Chairman of the Senate Agricultural Committee and as Assistant Majority Leader of the Iowa Senate.
- "Meta Financial Group Inc. News". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-03-27.
Meta Financial Group, Inc. (Meta Financial) is a registered unitary savings and loan holding company. MetaBank (the Bank), the only direct, active full service banking subsidiary of Meta Financial, is a community-oriented financial institution offering a variety of financial services to meet the needs of the communities it serves and a payments company that provides services nationwide. The Company provides a range of financial services. The principal business of MetaBank is attracting retail deposits from the general public and investing those funds primarily in one- to four-family residential mortgage loans, commercial and multi-family real estate, agricultural operations and real estate, construction, and consumer and commercial business loans primarily in MetaBank's market areas. MetaBank also purchases mortgage-backed securities and other investments permissible under applicable regulations. Meta Financial also owns Meta Trust Company, a South Dakota trust corporation.
- Culver, Chester J. (December 6, 2004). "Canvass Summary - ELECTION: 2004 General Election (11/2/2004)" (PDF). State of Iowa. p. 12. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2007-01-04. Retrieved 2009-03-27.
John Drury 12,213
Thurman Gaskill 17,192
- Des Moines Register [dead link]
- "North Iowa News Briefs - Gaskill joins Giuliani campaign". Globe Gazette. Mason City, Iowa: Lee Enterprises. June 27, 2007. Retrieved 2009-03-27.
The Rudy Giuliani presidential Committee has announced the selection of State Sen. Thurman Gaskill of Corwith as the chairman of the Iowa Farmers for Rudy. Gaskill will also serve as national co-chairman of Agriculture for Rudy Giuliani.[dead link]
- "Thurman And Gerry Gaskill Named Iowa Master Farmers". Garner Leader & Signal. Garner, Iowa: Mid-America Publishing Corporation. 17 March 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-27.
Former State Senator Thurman Gaskill and wife, Gerry, Corwith, have been named Iowa Master Farms by Wallaces Farmer magazine. They are among four Iowa farm families that will be recognized during ceremonies in Johnston on March 19.... Henry A. Wallace, editor of Wallaces Farmer from 1921 to 1933, initiated the Iowa Master Farmer Award in 1926 to call attention to Iowa farmers who not only demonstrate outstanding farm management, but also provide leadership in local, state and national organizations.[dead link]
- Holdmeyer, Frank. "What it takes to be a Master" (PDF). Wallace's Farmer. Retrieved 2009-03-27.
Henry A. Wallace, editor of Wallaces Farmer from 1921 to 1933, initiated the Iowa Master Farmer Award in 1926 to call attention to Iowa farmers who not only demonstrate outstanding management in their farming operations, but also provide leadership in local, state and national organizations. It is the longestrunning farmer recognition program in the country...
- Iowa General Assembly - former Senator E. Thurman Gaskill official IA Senate website
- "Project Vote Smart - E. Thurman Gaskill profile". Archived from the original on 2007-10-12.
- Follow the Money - E. Thurman Gaskill