|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (June 2012)|
|Developer(s)||Dynamic Solutions-International, LLC|
EFDC_Explorer8.2 / November 28, 2016
|Written in||Visual Basic 6|
|Operating system||Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Windows Server (2012)|
EFDC_Explorer (EE) is a Windows-based GUI for pre- and post processing of the Environmental Fluid Dynamics Code (EFDC). The program is developed and supported by the engineering company Dynamic Solutions-International (DSI). EFDC_Explorer is designed to support model set-up, grid generation (Cartesian and orthogonal curvilinear), testing, calibration, and visualization of model results (Craig, 2016). EE supports hydrodynamics, sediment/toxics transport, particle tracking and the coupled water quality model HEM3D.
EFDC was originally developed at Virginia Institute of Marine Science (Hamrick, 1992). It is open-source software and is a widely used, EPA accepted model. DSI also continues to develop EFDC in conjunction with EFDC_Explorer including adding multithreading capability.
- EFDC Pre- & Post-Processing
- 2D & 3D Animations
- Model Results Visualization
- Data vs. Model Comparisons
- Sediment transport
- Water quality
- Wave impacts and wind wave generation
- Lagrangian Particle Tracking
- Ice Formation and Melt
- Real-time data and simulation
EFDC_Explorer has been in distribution since 2003, and is now being used in over 60 countries.
Tra Khuc Vietnam: "This model was developed to provide support for the Water Resources University in Hanoi, Vietnam for a Scour and Deposition study. This study investigated inlet movement in Tra Khuc as it undergoes annual sediment bed changes."
Ohio River, USA: "This model of the Ohio River was designed to assist in a storm impacts study for Cincinnati City. The study related to the evaluation of combined sewer overflows (CSOs) and other wet weather impacts on the water quality on the Ohio River, and to evaluate resulting benefits from certain abatement scenarios." 
- Dynamic Solutions - International Website http://www.ds-intl.biz/
- EFDC_Explorer Knowledge Base http://www.wiki.efdc-explorer.com/
- EFDCPlus Features http://www.efdc-explorer.com/products/efdc-dsi-features/
- Hamrick, John M., A three-dimensional environmental fluid dynamics computer code : theoretical and computational aspects, Virginia Institute of Marine Science, 1992 https://catalog.libraries.wm.edu/Record/1045152
- Environmental Protection Agency, Exposure Assessment Models https://www.epa.gov/exposure-assessment-models/efdc
- Demonstration Models for EE http://www.efdc-explorer.com/downloads/examples-and-testcases-for-ee.html
- West Lake Real-time Hydrodynamic & Water Quality Model http://westlake.ds-intl.biz/