EMI Songbook Series
|This article does not cite any sources. (March 2014)|
The EMI Songbook Series is a series of 10 compact disc compilation albums released by EMI in 1998 - 1999. Each disc features songs specifically chosen by a notable cult figure from 20th century popular culture. The sleeve work for each disc frequently includes essays, illustrations or other contributions from the featured individual. Clive Barker compiled a CD for this series which included music from Danny Elfman, Diamanda Galás... etc. Hunter S. Thompson and Robert Crumb provided two of the most acclaimed compilations in the series.
- Hunter S. Thompson - Where Were You When the Fun Stopped?
- Iain Banks - Personal Effects
- Gerry Anderson - Evocation
- Clive Barker - Being Music
- Gilbert Shelton - Honky Soul, Race Music, Hard Bop & Anachronic Jazz
- Peter Bagge - Rockin' Poppin' Favorites
- Ralph Steadman - I Like It
- Robert Crumb - That's What I Call Sweet Music
- Savage Pencil - The Antiquack - Dead Duck Selection
- Ivor Cutler - Cute, (H)ey?
Hunter S. Thompson's selections
- Ballad of Thunder Road - Robert Mitchum
- I Smell a Rat - Howlin' Wolf
- Spirit in the Sky - Norman Greenbaum
- The Hula Hula Boys - Warren Zevon
- Maggie May - Rod Stewart
- The Wild Side of Life/It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels - Hank Thompson, Tanya Tucker, Kitty Wells
- Will the Circle Be Unbroken - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
- Mr. Tambourine Man - Bob Dylan
- Walk on the Wild Side - Lou Reed
- If I Had a Boat - Lyle Lovett
- Stars on the Water - Rodney Crowell
- Carmelita - Flaco Jimenez, Dwight Yoakam
- Why Don't We Get Drunk - Jimmy Buffett
- American Pie - Don McLean
- White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane
- The Weight - The Band
- Melissa - The Allman Brothers Band
- Battle Hymn of the Republic - Herbie Mann
- "Discogs page for "Where were you when the fun stopped?"". Discogs. Retrieved 25 March 2015.
- "Discogs page for "Personal Effects"". Discogs. Retrieved 25 March 2015.
- "Discogs page for "Evocation"". Discogs. Retrieved 25 March 2015.
- "Discogs page for "Being Music"". Discogs. Retrieved 25 March 2015.