The School of Industrial Engineering of Barcelona (Escola Tècnica Superior d'Enginyeria Industrial de Barcelona, abbreviated ETSEIB) is a university school that is part of the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (Technical University of Catalonia, UPC).
The School of Engineering of Barcelona was created in 1851, absorbing the technical and scientific schools that the Junta de Comerç (trade council, a sort of chamber of commerce) had gradually created beginning in 1769. Of all the engineering schools established in Spain at that time, it is the only one that still exists. Classes were initially held in the former convent of Sant Sebastià (which no longer exists), close to the La Llotja building. In 1873, the School moved to a building on Plaça de la Universitat. In 1927 it moved again, to part of the old Can Batlló factory on Carrer Urgell. Finally, in 1964, it moved to the building on Avinguda Diagonal where it is currently located. It's one of the schools who 1971 come together and established the UPC, the Polytechnic University of Catalonia.
The ETSEIB is the biggest engineering school in Catalonia, with more than 3100 students and about 410 professors. The following courses are currently being taught at the ETSEIB:
First and second cycle degrees
- Degree in Industrial Engineering
- Degree in Chemical Engineering
Second cycle degrees
- Degree in Materials Engineering
- Degree in Industrial Organization Engineering
Official master's degrees
- Erasmus Mundus master's degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Master's Degree in Materials Science Engineering & European
- Master's Degree in Advanced Materials Science and Engineering (Erasmus Mundus)
- Master's Degree in Biomedical Engineering
- Master's Degree in Logistics, Transport and Mobility
- Master's Degree in Biotechnological Engineering
- Master's Degree in Polymers and Biopolymers
- Degree in Design
- European master's degree in Materials Engineering
- A3E. Associació Estudiantil per l'Exploració Espacial. Association for students which are interested in Space Explorations. They work to integrate the scholar initiatives of formation and technology applied in the aerospace sector in Catalonia.
- ACME - Associació Cultural de Modelisme a l'Enginyeria. Association of students which are fond of modelism and manual works. They carry out activities and projects related with this world.
- BEST - Board of European Students of Technology. Association of European students of technological careers present in 96 European universities of 33 different countries. It organizes academic and non-academic courses, as well as the biggest engineering competition in Europe (EBEC).
- Cine Club Enginyers. Engineering Students’ Cinema Club, which puts on premieres and sneak previews and publishes a quarterly bulletin named 8mm.
- Club Esportiu. Sports Club. It promotes activities related to sports and organizes competitions.
- Delegació d'Estudiants. It is the official organism of students representation.
- Enginyeria Sense Fronteres. Development NGO specialized in matters of cooperation with water services and alternative energy sources.
- Erasmus Student Network. International student organization which tries to promote opportunities for the cultural comprehension and self-development. They work by their motto: Students helping students.
- ETSEIB Motorsport. Students group in charge of the design and construction of a single-seater vehicle to compete in the Formula Student.
- Forum ETSEIB. Students associate themselves in order to annually organize the Forum. The Forum intends to be the connection between ETSEIB's students and companies.
- Utopia theater group. It is the theater group of the school. With over 20 years on active, it is today the oldest of the UPC theater groups.
- IAESTE - International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience. Organization involved in the interchange between students of technical and scientific careers.
- L'Altre. Students associate themselves to annually organize this alternative Forum. The Forum intents to be the connection between ETSEIB students and those entities which are involved in sustainability (in its most general approach): environment, workers’ rights, etc.
- PuntD. Association of Students and Ex-Students form the Superior degree in Design/UPC.
- SEC - Ski Enginyers Club. Group of students who share a passion for snow sports. They do promotion and introduction to winter sports, courses for beginners, technical advices, processing of the TARGENEU, weather information and development of the university environment.